PDA

View Full Version : Here's a good idea - using artificial plants

Deleted account
01-19-2012, 07:21 PM
As a total newcomer to aquariums I came to this forum, hoping to get some advice about using 'non-aquarium specific' artificial plants. The advice was basically that if it doesn't say "aquarium safe" don't use it.

The problem is that 'aquarium safe' artificial plants are relatively expensive and a bit 'kitsch' compared with high quality artificial plants that are not labelled 'aquarium safe' so... what to do ?

Here's a good idea...

Buy the much cheaper and more realistic high quality artificial plants from a good gift / craft store and place them against the back of the aquarium (on the outside of the back glass panel) and drape a dark background cloth (navy blue/ black etc) behind the artificial plants.. ( provided you are not using one of those scenic backgrounds!)

What is the result?

Your tank will seem much deeper so you get a much enhanced 3d effect of your aquarium and you get the benefit of the great looking artificial plants with none of the risk of contaminating the water with toxins and dyes, and rusting wires!

I'll post some photos here so that you can see the effect.

Trillianne
01-19-2012, 08:03 PM
There is a wide range of fake plants made for aquaria, including high quality realistic silk fakes.

However, most big box pet stores tend to stock the very plastic kinds, because for whatever reason there is a segment of the population that equates fish tanks with clown car wrecks.

Allow me to offer examples A and B here:
http://home.comcast.net/~dmcmillen//pwpimages/.__200_123_clownbarf2.jpg

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/68jyj_N2m3FXcepkGbf1JT3RWLhPfB0SviZvd05aGeyEGW5qw0 v12bjY_YwvPwRM_1nbv71EXN26fI-VNEc_cChON6Wj2SwusyBITvW2aTvG-DD3rk49GujaKoEbrzhXNtRl7zLPAKtcK9FwxmnjwnGPoFUxst3 DCxNvuX3LnxWyo40malE

I believe (and am certain they will correct me if I am wrong) that what others were trying to convey to you about fake plants is that they may or may not be safe, but without specifics such as what brand (so we can help find what they are made of), or what materials they are made from it is impossible to universally say all fake plants are safe.

Overall the most important principal in keeping a fish aquarium for the majority of people here, is to provide a good living environment, with the interior decoration secondary.

Deleted account
01-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Overall the most important principal in keeping a fish aquarium for the majority of people here, is to provide a good living environment, with the interior decoration secondary.

By contrast, Trillianne, I wish to create an aquarium which is pleasing to anyone viewing it, and place great importance on the aesthetics created by interior decoration.

I would have thought providing a good living environment is a given which hardly needs stating, but it is also dependent on a sensitive design, both in terms of layout, and arrangement of rocks, driftwood and plants etc so that the fish have safe hiding places, but also clear areas where they get a chance to stretch their fins ?

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc487/Marekant/Aquarium/P1090224.jpg

Trillianne
01-20-2012, 05:40 PM
I'm sorry but this is one area where we can not agree.

I am not in any way saying a tank can not be aesthetically pleasing. But if your priority is on inert objects of stone and plastic and not on the living creatures, then perhaps you should re-evaluate if you really want a fish aquarium or a potted fake plant.

Deleted account
01-20-2012, 06:03 PM
I'm sorry but this is one area where we can not agree.

I am not in any way saying a tank can not be aesthetically pleasing. But if your priority is on inert objects of stone and plastic and not on the living creatures, then perhaps you should re-evaluate if you really want a fish aquarium or a potted fake plant.

Trillianne, would you please explain to me in what capacity you are haranguing me? Are you a founder of this forum, a moderator, or marshall? or are you speaking as a fellow member? Your pomposity is breath-taking.

Trillianne
01-20-2012, 06:58 PM
It can be very difficult to interpret tone in text based communication. Clearly based on your reaction my intent at a civil discussion has gone astray.

Best of Luck to you on your endeavor.

mommy1
01-20-2012, 07:17 PM
Merekant, the only person I see "haranguing" anyone here is you. You have asked about fake plants in two different threads and have received good advice from knowledgeable people in both of them. No matter how many times you ask, you will get the same answers, be careful with anything not specifically for fish tanks, they may contain toxic chemicals and kill your fish. As Trill said, it doesn't mean you can't use clown puke gravel or acid trip rocks, just be aware that anything you put into your tank that doesn't specifically say for aquarium use might be dangerous to your fish. I am not talking to you as the founder of this forum nor am I a moderator, however, I am a hell of a lot more knowledgeable than you in this hobby. Take the advice or leave it, but don't give attitude to those who are trying to give you good advice and proper answers to your questions.

Brhino
01-20-2012, 07:21 PM
This thread has sort of spiraled out of control. I don't think either of you started out disagreeing with each other - you were essentially both stating the same thing in different ways, and then somehow it ended up as an argument. It might be best to carefully re-read each other's posts and then start again.

In particular, Trillianne, Marekant never said the health and comfort of the fish was not important. He said that is a "given which hardly needs stating" - ie, it's obviously important. I think that sentence in particular may have been misinterpreted.

Furthermore, he has accepted the given advice that non-aquarium artificial plants may not be safe and has instead stated his intention to use them as a background OUTSIDE the aquarium... so I'm not sure why people are acting as though he is still insisting on trying them inside.

Goes to 11!
01-20-2012, 08:41 PM
so I'm not sure why people are acting as though he is still insisting on trying them inside.
Perhaps the last line of post # 13 here (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=86553) will clear that up for you. :22:

Cliff
01-20-2012, 08:54 PM
I'm sorry but I have not been paying close attention to this thread up until now either.

I have the same comments as on the other thread about the same topic. A question has been ask and answered here, but the thread seams to be taking a turn for the worse.

Lets not keep defending our positions or opinions

Northernguy
01-20-2012, 09:29 PM
Some people just prefer plastic or silk to real because they are so much easier.
What is wrong with that? It is certainly No reason to argue.

Deleted account
01-20-2012, 09:38 PM
A question has been ask and answered here, but the thread seams to be taking a turn for the worse.

Hi Cliff.

No question was asked on this thread neither were any answers given. I simply made a suggestion which I thought may be of interest to other members. In response, I was accused of preferring inert rocks to llving things and this was further defended and supported by another contributor who used expressions such as my preference for "clown puke gravel" and a third contributor has accused me of being a troll?

That's quite a bad day at the office for me. This forum introduces itself as a friendly community.

I would just like to mention, that I took the trouble to familiarise myself with the structure of the forum before startng a new thread and decided that the most appropriate forum in which to discuss artificial plants would be "TANK SETUP'

To my mind, Tank Setup, means everything about the tank, rather than the fish which have their own dedicated forums ?

Lady Hobbs
01-21-2012, 04:25 PM
Two threads about artifical plants in a tank has now been closed because ?????? This conversation went way beyond where it needed to go. I might add that many people use artifical plants, especially new people just starting out or those that have fish that eat plants.

Their choice to use artifical plants really is up to them, isn't it? I'm sure if we search hard, we can find more stressing things to argue about.......or ignore?