PDA

View Full Version : Blue lobsters and cichlids?

ashm5
08-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Hey I have a 240 L 4ft tank, it is a cichlid tank and I was wondering if anyone thinks it would be ok or not ok to put a blue lobster in with them

gm72
08-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Most blue lobsters will eat any fish it can catch. I wouldn't try it just because of the possibility of the fish being caught and eaten.

RobbieG
08-18-2007, 05:31 PM
You may not think that they can catch and kill cichlids - but I've seen them do it - one of the petco's near me had them in the same tank for a short time (much shorter than they expected anyways)

cocoa_pleco
08-18-2007, 05:38 PM
some lobsters are cranky and some not. i had a blue lobster with a JD years ago and they mutually got along with no problem. however i had another blue one with community fish and he had a intricate tunnel in the substrate in which he would go after my 15 albino corys, he never got any but he got close

ashm5
08-18-2007, 08:08 PM
nah sounds too risky then I won't bother thanks anyway :D

freshwaterfishlover
08-19-2007, 12:43 PM
My Blue Crayfish will eat anything put in the tank. I mean everything.

leicanthrope
08-31-2007, 04:34 PM
I've got a couple of American flag fish (Jordanella floridae) and a pleco in a tank with mine, and they've never had any problems. You can tell that the cray is thinking about it, but she never really tries that hard. She likes to knock over the snails, but has never eaten one. I rather suspect she's just being obnoxious on purpose.

*Sarah*
08-31-2007, 07:18 PM
Yup I had a crayfish that caught a neon...

Dave-id
09-05-2007, 01:11 AM
They're not very good hunters actually. Despite how mean they look, they're mainly scavengers, and opportunists. They will pick off weak or dying fish, but if you give them enough time, they're bound to luck out and score a completely healthy fish on occasion.

On the flip side, certain chiclids will kill the blue lobster. They knock them over and then attack their belly.

I know you're not going to put them together anyways, but just wanted to mention that..