PDA

View Full Version : Don't think my Fish is going to make it :(

kurly
01-18-2012, 03:46 PM
I have my Glolight Tetra in QT because he has Gill Disease. This is day three of five day treatment and his gills are still very inflamed. Came home from the hospital this morning (son had to have surgery on fractured nasal bones he sustained in a school basketball game a week ago) to find the little guy hanging at the top gasping for air. I had a little azoo power filter on the 2.5 gallon QT and the water temp felt very warm to the touch. Temp reading was a little over 82 so I unplugged the 10w heater and exchanged the azoo power filter with my AC20 filter to get more oxygen in the water. I have it on the lowest setting because I don't want to blow the poor guy around.

I would have set him up in my 5 Gallon QT but when I removed him from the main tank my 5 gallon was occupied with new fish waiting to go into main tank.

Trying to decide if I should move him over to empty 5 gallon tank now or just let him be in the medicated 2.5 gallon tank.

Anyway, not sure if he's going to pull through and I feel bad :scry:

Stlouisfish
01-18-2012, 04:11 PM
I would personally let him stay where he is - moving him would only increase his stress. I hope the meds work and at least you figured out it was too warm for him. Hope he makes it - sometimes fish pull through.

kurly
01-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Thanks andreahp,
Temp in tank is now down to 78 degrees and holding. Circulation in tank is much better and the fish is no longer hugging the surface but back down in the middle to lower level of tank. I agree. I'm going to leave him in the 2.5 for now since the medication is already in that water and the filter is on low which is providing enough circulation and not blowing him around.

I really hope he makes it.

kurly
01-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Now I'm wondering if it was the dinky filter that was causing him to hang at the top or both the higher temp and dinky filter? The water was very warm to the touch and was registering 82-83. Temp is holding at 78 without the heater now but I'm wondering if it will dip too low tonight if I dont have the heater turned on. In a tank that small would the light from the hood keep it warm enough overnight? Kinda hate to leave the light on all night though as he probably needs some darkness just because of being ill and maybe feeling safer without all the light.

Whats the best thing to do?

Stlouisfish
01-18-2012, 05:28 PM
I believe the light will add to the heat - I can't imagine the filter was responsible for him hugging the top of the tank - lack of oxygen was doing that which is what happens when water temp is higher than it should be. When fish are sick and an increase in temp is recommended or meds (like for ich), it is always suggested to add an airstone to put oxygen in the water. 78 is a good temp to keep the tank at but, unless someone tells me I'm wrong, if it dips a bit at night it probably won't harm the fish too much.

kurly
01-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Okay. I don't have an airstone so I'm going to leave the AC20 filter in there. The water movement is much better than what it was when the smaller filter was on. I'm sure that can only help the oxygen in the tank.

The fish is staying in the low to mid portion of the tank and not breathing nearly as heavy as he was when I returned home.

I'm glad we returned home when we did. Luckily my son was the first surgery this morning so there weren't any delays. I would have felt terrible if I came home to a dead fish due to lack of oxygen in the tank!

Stlouisfish
01-18-2012, 05:56 PM
I'm sure your filter is adding enough aeration. Sounds like your fish is more comfortable now - I hope it heals up - and I hope your son is doing well!

kurly
01-18-2012, 06:08 PM
Thanks for wishing both of them well.. My son is doing good. Sleeping a lot due to the anesthesia which has given me time to deal with my sick fish. Running from sick son to sick fish has made my day quite interesting!

ldoerr
01-19-2012, 03:28 AM
Hope that your fish makes it. Also hope that your son feels better soon.

Fishin Phil
01-19-2012, 12:55 PM
So how are your patients doing today?

kurly
01-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Actually still alive and better in regards to the lack of oxygen. He's not hugging the top or bottom of the tank. Movement is good but gills are still inflamed. Looks like I'm going to have to give him a second round of treatment as the instructions indicate. Poor guy. Still hoping he can bounce back and get better.

I think he's mad at me.. When I entered the room this morning to check on him, as I moved my face closer to the glass he actually turned around as if he was turning his backside to me! LOL Didn't swim away, just turned around like he has an attitude.

I usually say tetra's have no personality but this one did today!

Thanks for asking :ssmile: