PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO: Move a large Pacu

xDIRTYSOUTHx
01-18-2012, 06:34 AM
Could only find one video on youtube HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gNob7wU7OM) and it did not make me feel good about moving my buddy.

Any advice or tips on moving him?

I will have a camera setup when I move him so hopefully it goes well and doesnt end up being a 10,000 hit video on youtube..:help:

He's about 9 years old and 15" long. I have to travel about 10 miles to our new home so any tips as far as getting him out, the drive, and back in the tank would be great.

Trillianne
01-18-2012, 07:26 AM
Awhile back I saw a video where the aquatic team was moving a big kissing gourami.

You can certainly buy a net of sufficient size. (You may need to look further afield, or even into pool supply places)

I believe for temporary holding they used a large rubbermaid trash can filled with water. I would think a rubber tote with handles would work. Especially for a short 10 mile trip.

DO lower the water and remove the decor so that its easier to catch him.

William
01-18-2012, 07:29 AM
Look at videos of how they move dolphins to get a good idea how to move it between containers.

skullduggery1
01-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Yeah, the rubbermaid tub is an awesome idea,and will work.If you want a net to use that will not scar your fish,buy a fly fishing net.Although colossoma(pacu)are tough as nails.

Northernguy
01-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Yeah, the rubbermaid tub is an awesome idea,and will work.If you want a net to use that will not scar your fish,buy a fly fishing net.Although colossoma(pacu)are tough as nails.
Agreed! Good post skullduggery:22:

Lady Hobbs
01-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Removing some of the water and using a large fishing net would have taken some of the chore out of this. No fish wants to be grabbed over and over again. He sure will be happy in a bigger tank, for sure.

Trillianne
01-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Here's the video I was thinking of
j6VuClzUWOM

Lady Hobbs
01-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Exactly! And no stress put on the fish at all. Good video.

xDIRTYSOUTHx
01-18-2012, 09:22 PM
wow that is one hell of an upgrade. Piglet is a HUGE fish! His tail looks so small compared to the rest of his body. I'm thinking that was an easy catch since he would be so slow.

Looks like that placo needs to be hand moved and not use a net? Makes since but didn't think about that at all until watching this video. My pleco is about that big and I don't want to hurt the little guy.

eltylT
01-18-2012, 10:48 PM
that was pretty darn smart. would LOVE to have a tank like that or even half that size for my JD's. Did u get your's moved ok?:19: I sure hope so Good luck with your Pacu.