PDA

View Full Version : red platys

xratloverx
01-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Hello
My name is Janet and i would like to know whether red platys like faster or slower moving water.

Fishkeeper
01-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Slow moving is better, but you always need a filter. Do you know how to cycle a tank? Cycling is very important if you want the fish to not die. How big is the tank, or are you just in the planning stages?

xratloverx
01-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Dear Fishkeeper

Thank you for your reply. The dimensions of the tank are ... Volume: approx. 48 Litres
Aquarium Measurements: 39 x 33 x 43cm high

We have a filter in the tank but i do not know what cycling is.

It is already set up with 4 red platys.

thank you
Janet

jemaasjr
01-16-2012, 05:19 AM
You generally want some water movement in your aquarium, but platties do not in particular need moving water.

After an aquarium is in service for a while, microbes develop that help process the waste products of the fish. Usually these microbes will develop in the filter, because it has a lot of surface area and water flow. Until these microbe colonies develop, you will have to change water a lot more because the unprocessed waste is a lot more harmful to the fish.

Cycling is whatever people do to get this microbe/ waste precessing thing to start up. Given you already have the fish, get your water tested fairly early and be ready to change water more often than will be necessary. Some local fish places will test your water for you and perhaps have advice on cycling as well. Hopefully you have taken care of the chlorine in the water if it has chlorine.

xratloverx
01-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Thank you very much for your reply. It was very helpful

Janet