PDA

View Full Version : angel fish stocking

prowrestlingcarny
01-15-2012, 09:06 AM
setting up my new 55 gallon tank and was looking at getting some angel fish but how many angel fish can i keep.
thanks

pjaldave
01-15-2012, 09:08 AM
on a 55, a pair of angels would work. pair being a male and a female.

prowrestlingcarny
01-15-2012, 10:55 AM
so i could only have 2 angels

Fishin Phil
01-15-2012, 11:15 AM
The tricky part is getting a male and a female. I personally can not tell them apart until they start spawning.

What many folks do is get several angels, maybe 5 or more, and wait to see if two of them pair off. Of course, you should have other arrangements for the extra fish.

Hope this helps.

MCHRKiller
01-15-2012, 04:12 PM
I would honestly only get 1 unless you wanted to deal with the territorial demands of a mated pair in a community tank or by themselves. If you had a solo fish it would be the star attraction and you could plan to keep various other species with it.

pjaldave
01-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Jenn's right. but i think you can get away with territorial aggression with a heavily planted tank.

Dacotah7
01-16-2012, 09:51 PM
setting up my new 55 gallon tank and was looking at getting some angel fish but how many angel fish can i keep.
thanks

What else would you like to have in the tank?

Be aware there is more than one variety of Angel. I like the vail variety better, but you have choices.

Angels love plants such as Amazon Swords and tall grass native to their natural habitat. If you don't know Angels, research can be a bit elusive, because they are Cichilds > than look for South American Cichlid Articles and the topic of Scalare's.

I easily keep 4 pair in my 125g along with other tropical community in a fairly heavily planted tank, with numerous hiding places, under driftwood, behind rocks, between-behind-under plants. Still they have open space in front and on top. While the 8 do fine, that is plenty. I don't think I would want any more in this set-up. It looks busy enough and overcrowding creates endless problems and headaches.

Depending on your total tank plan, you may not want more than 4 Angels, or two pair. As mentioned, sexing can be difficult. The easiest way is let them sort it out, be observant to the courtship and mating. The next best way is research and read the articles found above and elsewhere.

You could keep 1 male and 3 females, but the male will only pair off with one female at a time.

Absent of a male, a female may assume the role of a male, but naturally any eggs will be sterile.

Understand the mouth to mouth face-off is not aggression. It is the courtship procedure in the mating process. With 8 Angels, I have seen 4 or 5 in the initial process. Eventually some are dismissed as not appealing or non-candidates and leave that contest. With 8 mature Angels in the tank, it is almost a non-stop cycle.

ldoerr
01-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Dacotah7 that is a lot of angles in 1 tank. I do not think that others should try and keep that many together. You are very experienced with aquariums, while I am guessing the the OP is not. If it were me I would only have 1 angel or MAYBE 1 pair, but that is it.

Lady Hobbs
01-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Angels in a very large tank with lots of places to hide will do fairly well together but not in a 55. I have one in my 55 with community fish. Their aggression prevents them for being housed in small places like a 55. Been there/done that. Even two of the same sex doesn't work in 55 gallons.

I started with 9 and had to buy 3 more tanks.