PDA

View Full Version : Two Major Screw Ups Tonight :-(

Pamela2Heaven
01-15-2012, 03:36 AM
First - while doing water changes - I put the hose in the bathroom sink waiting for the water temp to get how I wanted it and I thought I had it secure in the sink - left for a minute and came back to water all over the floor - it jumped out of the sink and on to the floor - big big mess...

Second - I did my water change in the 55 gallon and then on to the 37 and as I went to put in my dechlorinator in the 37 realized it was NOT dechlorinator but Stress Zyme instead - so that is when I realized the 55 had been sitting with new water that had not been dechlorinated! Yikes!! Hurried over to add some Prime - then back to the 37. Thank goodness I caught it BUT an hour later - I see that I lost 2 Zebra Danios from the 55G. So far everyone else seems ok. I sure hope I have no more casualties!:scry:

DougStanley
01-15-2012, 03:40 AM
I would keep a check on your water parameters in case your BB was affected.

Sorry to hear about your loses and the mishap.:scry:

Cliff
01-15-2012, 03:41 AM
Keep a close eye on the parameters in your 55, just in case the chlorinated water managed to kill off some of your BB.

Pamela2Heaven
01-15-2012, 03:42 AM
Will do!! thanks!

sheamurai
01-16-2012, 02:36 PM
I wonder how many people who had mystery deaths after a water change have made the same error but didn't realise it.

Lady Hobbs
01-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Join the club. My python appears to be a nice tight fit on the faucet and no leaks occuring but let me take my eyes off it for a minute and my bathroom is getting sprayed from the ceiling down. I forget dechlorinator once. You learn quickly after killing fish! Now it goes in before I even start up the water.

Rue
01-16-2012, 03:38 PM
You have my sympathies...I get really worked up over 'wet' spills...

That's the worst part of fishkeeping for me...

kurly
01-16-2012, 04:08 PM
Sorry to hear what happened. Not only did you have a mess to clean you also lost a few fish in the process :scry: Hopefully all your other fish will be okay.

wskynajar
01-16-2012, 05:52 PM
I sorry:( an hate to hear that Pamela2Heaven...If anything good at all has come out of it, Its probably the probability chances of it happening again have gotten lower.

Pamela2Heaven
01-16-2012, 09:11 PM
No more losses - thankfully - BUT it did throw my parameters into a tailspin so I have already done 2 large w/c since then.

Thanks for the responses - I think I most certainly learned some lessons!! (the hard way)

ldoerr
01-16-2012, 10:16 PM
Sorry to here about your losses. I know that you can keep up with the tank and the BB dye off. Good luck.