PDA

View Full Version : How many fish can I add...

kurly
01-15-2012, 02:40 AM
I've got 15 Harlequin Rasboras in my QT that will need to be moved over to my main tank within the next couple of days. I've never added so many at one time with the exception of after doing a fishless cycle to this tank a few years back. Can I add all 15 to the tank without worrying about a mini-cycle?

The tank they are moving into is 65 gallons, has been established for three years and has 29 fish in it now.

pjaldave
01-15-2012, 07:05 AM
in my opinion, i would break it up into 3 sets of 5 just to make sure.

maybe you can add them every 3 days to let the BB cope up with the bio-load.

wskynajar
01-15-2012, 06:38 PM
Kurly...They all went into a Q/T tank all at once, which is prob. smaller than the main tank. An with a established tank I wouldn't think there would be no problem. That's one of the reasons we strive for an established tank so we can add more stock at once.

pjaldave
01-15-2012, 07:33 PM
even with established media/bacteria colony, if you shock the bacteria with too much fish addition at once, you will probably see mini spikes, but i ain't sure about that, correct me if i'm wrong. i think what you're saying is, after the fishless cycle should you can add much more stock because you have enough bacterias, but in Kurly's case, the filter was established long ago.

in anyways, just to make sure, stock slowly again.

kurly
01-16-2012, 03:38 AM
Thanks... added 5 Rasboras today. Boy were they happy to move up to the larger main tank..lol

Will check parameters over the next few days and add the next 5 and the final 5 at the end of the week if all goes well with the numbers.

Feels good to have new fish in the tank.

wskynajar
01-16-2012, 04:49 AM
Well I personally wouldn't have a problem adding 10 or 15 Rasboras, to a mature tank. With bigger fish yeah I would hesitate. Rasboras IMO; wouldn't have much of a bio-load on the bb, again its jmo.

ldoerr
01-16-2012, 05:57 AM
I would just add them all to the main tank all at once. Maybe do an extra WC a few days after adding them and you should be good. I added all of mine at once and had no problems (did not check paramaters though). They do not have much of a bioload and that is a big tank so you should be good to add all at once.

kurly
01-16-2012, 12:52 PM
I was thinking that as well but didn't want to risk it. They are tiny fish at the moment and honestly my QT is a lot smaller than my main tank. It's just been soooo long since I've had new fish, I just wasn't sure.