PDA

View Full Version : Filter changes

pepperbox64
01-14-2012, 10:56 PM
I heard that changing the filter pad removes all the good bacteria that has helped maintain the aquarum. Some said it'll cause the whole tank to start cycling again. So... how DO you replace filter pads? And how often (I heard 1x/month). I have a 30G Aqueon tank with the filter that came with the whole set.

Thanks!

Cliff
01-14-2012, 11:18 PM
You are correct that if you replace all of your filter media at once, you will loose your cycle as almost all of the bacteria you need is in the filter media

Many filter manufactures tell you to change the media when it just is not required. I keep using mine until it starts to fall apart. Iím using some media right now that is getting close to two years old even though the manufacture states to change it every month.

I would suggest just washing the cartridge in old tank water when you do a water change.

If you research a little, you might find some information on what you could substitute the cartridge with that would last longer. I donít know much about your filter so Iím afraid I canít be much more help.

Strider199
01-14-2012, 11:25 PM
100% right Cliff!

I wash out my filter cartridges every 3rd water change (in the water I took out of the tank which is in a clean bucket (never seen soap).

When you do need to change out the cartridge because it's falling apart, I place a new cartridge in the filter a week before removing the original one. There is always room somewhere.

The easiest way to keep your BB is to have different compartments in the filter and alternate between cleanings.
Or have 2 filters running in that tank and alternate between cleanings.

pepperbox64
01-14-2012, 11:44 PM
The easiest way to keep your BB is to have different compartments in the filter and alternate between cleanings.
Or have 2 filters running in that tank and alternate between cleanings.

What is BB?
Oh ok, 2 pads in the filter- one time clean one pad, the next time clean the other pad. That makes sense, thanks!

Strider199
01-14-2012, 11:46 PM
BB is the beneficial bacteria that keeps the cycle in-tack.