PDA

View Full Version : Ugh - made me sick

Pamela2Heaven
01-14-2012, 10:40 PM
Today we went to this little hole in the wall Chinese place for lunch. First thing you see when you walk in the door is this pitiful 30 gallon tank with 6 huge goldfish. One was laying on its side on the bottom panting. It had one big shell in the center and an air filter and that was it. Pretty pathetic. I told the woman working there that it was horrendous. She didn't bat an eye. It totally ruined my appetite. Too bad you can't call things in like that for abuse.

DougStanley
01-14-2012, 10:57 PM
It is sad to see setups like that and even more disturbing to see a setup like that in my local doctors office where its maintained by the lfs

Shyris
01-15-2012, 12:22 AM
There is a little place like that in my town that used to have a similar situation. Once someone pointed out that the goldfish didn't look happy, and would get too big for the tank, the restaurant sold off the fish. Someone must have done some research, because now it's got a nice school of tetras, and some other small community fish.

The one that bothers me is theres a place with a Silver Arowana in a small depressing looking tank. I'm not sure the tank even has any substrate. I mean, the water looks pretty clean, but the tank is just long enough for the poor thing to pace back and forth.

smaug
01-15-2012, 12:26 AM
They look like blood parrots,very popular with chinese restraunts as display fish. Trust me,they see the fish as nothing more then display and the dying ones are missed no more then a dying plant in most of there eyes.

Trillianne
01-15-2012, 12:28 AM
If you feel it was a cruelty case then report it. Let the individuals that actually deal with animal cruelty laws make the determination if they believe it is a sufficient enough case.

The laws in regard to domestic fish that I found for Texas did not seem exclusionary in nature to me, but then I don't live there.

Pamela2Heaven
01-15-2012, 12:40 AM
You are correct, Smaug - I looked them up and that is what they are.
Trill - I think that is a good idea - may not get me any where but I will see what I can do Monday. At least I can try. Stay tuned -

geowashlaw
01-18-2012, 05:25 PM
The question is did you still eat there? Hit them in the pocketbook and you'll get there attention. Something like, "That's so disturbing I can't enjoy my meal. I'm going to have to leave now."