PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 gal stocking?

Hawkshadow123
01-14-2012, 03:22 AM
I'm not sure if y'all remember me, but i'm back into the hobby of fish keeping :) :22:

My 2.5 gal used to house a betta fish for a few months. I didn't bother to cycle it (*coughnewbiecough*) and the filter that came with it was terrible!

Anywho, I plan on restarting that tank! I plan on cycling it and making sure I stock it correctly (tried stuffing an angelfish in there once...didn't turn out well) and I want to get a new filter and possibly a heater... i'm going to keep fish the better way this time.

But I would like to know what I could possibly stock in there. I /want/ to stay away from bettas, i've had three so far and i really dislike them... ;c maybe two or three corys? or would that be too much? maybe some guppies?

Argh, what do you guys think? :help:

Strider199
01-14-2012, 03:39 AM
Guppies would work but have you thought about something different like cherry shrimp?

If it's fish you want than a 2.5 gallon would restrict what you could keep.

A (one) Dwarf Gourami and a few live plants. They are territorial.

Three guppies, with a good filter.

10 Red Cherry Shrimp with some java moss.

Thats all I can think of, sorry.

Hawkshadow123
01-14-2012, 03:50 AM
Strider- I would /love/ to get cherry shrimp, but the LFS doesn't stock them at all. I've even driven an hour just to find them - no luck. Do dwarf gouramis jump? I'm not comfortable with fish known for jumping (but I'll survive, LOL). Three guppies as in all male, right? ;p

It's fine, and thanks!! :)

Hawkshadow123
01-14-2012, 04:25 AM
Also, would ghost shrimp work instead of cherry shrimp?

MCHRKiller
01-14-2012, 06:40 AM
I would certainly not put a dwarf gourami in a tank that size, maybe a sparking gourami...but dwarfs should not be in tanks under 10G.

Better choices for fish would be:

1 M/F pair of Scarlet badis
6 Chili Rasbora
Ghost shrimp would also be ok

But honestly for a tank this size your better off with inverts, 5G is really about the smallest tank that is well suited for fish long term.

bmwguy525
01-14-2012, 03:46 PM
This is way too small for a pair of cories, so your best bet really is inverts. Shrimps will do fine in here as long as you have a full lid.

ldoerr
01-14-2012, 10:04 PM
I just set up 3 2.5g tanks yesterday. I put a male betta in each tank. In one tank I also put ghost shrimp. The filters that I already had would not fit these tanks so I had to buy new filters. This is the filter that I got for my 2.5g tanks http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Elite-Underwater-Filter-Listed/dp/B0009YD7D4/ref=pd_ybh_1?pf_rd_p=280800601&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=ybh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0TH3D8VV3KN19JSWV3FT
It works really well and puts out alot of water. Very strong current.

The only fish that I would ever put in a 2.5g tank is a betta. (I personally love them, I have 8 bettas currently).