PDA

View Full Version : sad fantail

popasmile
01-14-2012, 03:20 AM
Hi! i've got a young fantail goldfish. he is in a 10 gall aquarium with basic filter media and carbon. i had him in a small 1.5 gall filtered aquarium for 3 weeks while i was moving, and he's been in his new area for about 3 weeks now and has been doing fine up until this last week.
he is usually very friendly and comes up to me, but he's been getting really spazzy and anxious when i come to the aquarium. hes very listless and rests on the floor until he's roused, but when he is roused he's really active and almost seems normal. sometimes he'll start up and graze around the pebbles before settling again. but he's definitely not right. i've examined him really closely for any signs of disease, and there looks like there is a small spot on his dorsal fin, but i'm not sure if thats enough evidence for full blown parasites. he has one eye that is bulging out (not extreme) and i know this can be a precursor to dropsy, but his body isn't swelling up and his fins aren't pinecone like.
basically there doesn't seem to be any overt evidence for bacterial/parasites, so i'm guessing it could be water quality? i'm going out tomorrow to get a test kit (i'll post the results) and some aquarium salt to try and draw out the swelling behind his eye. but i really like this little guy and i was wondering if anyone could advise me on what to do in the mean time? i've started 20%ish water changes a day with water left to stand for 24 hours.
should i get anti-parasitic meds/antibiotics while i'm out? and could i use them both at the same time? i don't think he's going to make it much longer. i've cut back on feeding (which was pellets, 5 a day works well for him in the past). i also have a bubble stone going during the day. thanks

Tetragirl2
01-15-2012, 10:29 AM
ulcers red sore or sores on the side/sides of the fish?
ulcers need quick teatment as they get worse very quickly they are caused by a bacterial infection and they ofen get secondary fungal infection. chosse a anti-ulcer treatment or anti-bacterial treatment,keep a close eye on the fish in case it develops a fungal infection in the wound . aquarium tonic salt is also a great benefit when treating ulcers, can be used together with some medicantions, although always check instuctions before using together.

Cliff
01-15-2012, 01:18 PM
Sound like the fish is in a un cycled tank.

You need to do a very larger water change with dechlorinated water

Please read the cycling with fish thread (link below in my sig) which explains things a little better than I can