PDA

View Full Version : Tiny plant problem

Fishisompin
01-14-2012, 02:00 AM
Hello. Annoying problem: how can I get algie off my anubias plants? Got a tiny tank, so I wander what to do with it. I'd keep the plants if I can and get a Mr. Betta.

bignellm
01-14-2012, 02:26 AM
So, does that tank already have a betta? If so, try adding a Nerite Snail or two (Nerite cause of appetite and b/c their shell is so close around their head and foot nippers would have a great problem nipping at their soft spots), depending on gallon size of tank. Also, it might help to increase the water movement of the tank and to turn off the lights for the tank earlier... less time with lights on for the day should slow algae growth.

Lady Hobbs
01-14-2012, 01:37 PM
I simply add water to my kitchen sink with a small amount of bleach. I dip my anubias for about 30 seconds and rinse it off well. That's it. Instantly gone without having to buy critters. Some plants do not do well in a bleach dip but anubias does very well. Do not go nuts with the bleach! Just a small amount and if think you need to measure, 1 part bleach to 19 parts water.
(I don't measure myself but that's the recommended amount.)

Fishisompin
01-14-2012, 09:55 PM
Thank you for your advice. I'll try the bleach first. Nice looking plants, ugly algie. Thanks.