PDA

View Full Version : Black King Kong Shrimp

Strider199
01-13-2012, 02:32 AM
I was just on an add for a shrimp farm here in Canada and came across a totally Black dwarf shrimp labelled Black King Kong Shrimp.

Black King Kong Shrimp
•Caridina cf. cantonensis
•Incredible and rare Species
1 Black King Kong Shrimp (1-2 Bands): $149.99 Only $99.99

It's on sale now for $99.99 for one shrimp.
What is up with this? Would I pay 100 dollars for a shrimp? Not! I searched high and low to get my cherry shrimp cheap. 30 for $15.00 from a local breeder. He actually gave me near 50 and some neat plant I forget what it's called that the shrimp love to hang out on.
Who would pay this kind of money for shrimp that just might pass away in a heart beat?

Cliff
01-13-2012, 02:36 AM
Well, I don;t think I would pay that for one shrimp, but they look really cool

http://www.aquashrimps.ru/images/KK.jpg

Strider199
01-13-2012, 02:39 AM
I agree they look awesome Cliff but the amount they want. Way to dear. Salt water inverts are way cooler and for the most part not that much. They used to be in the three digit range back in the 80's.
I'll wait till they come way down in price. Yes I'm cheap.(blush)

toddnbecka
01-13-2012, 05:36 AM
That's nothing, some of the sss-grade crystal red shrimp sell for thousands/each. It's all just a matter of how rare the color/pattern is and how many rich fools want one.

DougStanley
01-13-2012, 07:25 AM
I know I wouldn't pay that much for a shrimp even though they do look pretty cool. I guess I'm pretty cheap to I try to find deals on everything it DIY everything that I can.

William
01-13-2012, 08:18 AM
It is not really about rich fools and yes I might pay it for a shrimp. Having a king kong increases your chances of producing your own king kong shrimp that you can sell. It might seem very expensive but expensive shrimp can easily be a hobby that pay for itself and might even be profitable.

Look at this thread by Jacko
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=79711

He keps a lot of shrimp including Black King Kong.

Brhino
01-13-2012, 03:02 PM
yeah, it doesn't sound so crazy if it's a business startup expense you hope to turn a profit on.

Me, I'd be constantly worried that my tiny $100 shrimp would jump out or get eaten or sucked up into a filter or something.

toddnbecka
01-13-2012, 09:41 PM
I could see paying $100/shrimp if they'd actually produce more, it's the sss-grades that are more like playing the lottery as far as breeding that sell for really large amounts. Of course, I may see it differently if I had the $$ to gamble with.