PDA

View Full Version : PH Dropping in my QT... Help Please

kurly
01-13-2012, 12:31 AM
I've got my newly purchased Harlequin Rasboras in my QT. I was able to add a sponge from my main tank in the filter for the QT, however, I also added the new sponge that came with the new filter I bought for my QT because the compartment needed more media.

My problem is this.... the PH in the QT keeps dropping from 6.8 to 6.0 and maybe even lower within a day or two. I'm thinking it has to do with the new sponge I also put in the filter. I did a water change early yesterday morning and just checked all parameters. Results are... ammonia 0 nitrIte 0 and nitrAte 0 PH 6.0 (PH was 6.6 immediately after water change yesterday)

I'm concerned about the PH dropping as it is in the QT. The Rasboras are active, eating, and swimming all over the place so it doesn't appear that the drop in PH is affecting them. Their color is okay as well but I'm still concerned.

The PH in my main tank remains steady at 6.8 My concern is the low PH in my QT and also what will happen when I moved them over from my QT to the main tank. I'm going to drip acclimate them to the main tank when that time comes so I guess my main question is what about the PH in the QT and what to do about it? I know not to mess with it but I want to make sure nothing happens to the fish in there right now.

Stlouisfish
01-13-2012, 01:15 AM
Wait, so did you add this new sponge in addition to the one you already had in the filter or did you replace the original one?

From what you describe, it sounds like there's more of a problem with the tank not being cycled than the pH - you list 0's for all your parameters?

If you replaced your sponge, chances are good you've lost any bacteria you had in the filter (assuming it was cycled) unless you kept other media in there.

Sounds like your fish are doing fine but I would keep an eye on the ammonia level if what I've mentioned is the case.

icefreeze57
01-13-2012, 01:32 AM
Wait, so did you add this new sponge in addition to the one you already had in the filter or did you replace the original one?

From what you describe, it sounds like there's more of a problem with the tank not being cycled than the pH - you list 0's for all your parameters?

If you replaced your sponge, chances are good you've lost any bacteria you had in the filter (assuming it was cycled) unless you kept other media in there.

Sounds like your fish are doing fine but I would keep an eye on the ammonia level if what I've mentioned is the case.

Well its a QT, don't most QTs only run when needed. And filter media is just added? (which basically auto-cycles tank)

unless of course he replaced like you suggested

kurly
01-13-2012, 01:33 AM
I added the new sponge in addition to extra sponge I pulled out of my main tank. I needed to do this in order to fill the media compartment of the new filter. (Fellow AQ members advised it was okay to do so since the bulk of my media is already from a cycled tank which I thought was okay as well)

The water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrite and 0 nitrate because I did a partial water change yesterday to pick up some of the excess food left on the bare bottom of the tank after feeding.

Don't know why the PH is dropping in the QT... makes no sense to me at all.

Stlouisfish
01-13-2012, 01:37 AM
Oh yeah - that's what I do to run my QT - I keep a filter in my main tank until needed. I think kurly is worrying too much about the pH though.

kurly
01-13-2012, 01:45 AM
I thought a drop in PH from 6.8 to under 6.0 is a pretty big swing (it's probably lower because it is barely yellow). Just want to make sure that nothing will happen to them because of it and also that it won't affect them when I eventually move them over to the main tank.

Ya never know with this hobby. Rather be safe than sorry

pjaldave
01-13-2012, 05:08 AM
hmmmm. did you check your kH? that might be your problem. try placing crushed corals or just baking soda to buffer up your kH and pH for the meantime.

what is the temp in your tank? how big is your QT? and how many rasboras?

and yes, 6.8 to 6.0 is a really big swing. every .1 change of pH is 100x acidic/alkaline. if i remember correctly though.

kurly
01-13-2012, 05:13 AM
Still a little bothered by the PH drop so I decided to check for ammonia in the QT which I'm glad I did. This time the reading was .25 so I did a water change. Went back to my main tank and found another smaller foam in between the bio-balls and big foam. Replaced the "new" with the more old. So now I have all cycled media in the QT filter.

Hopefully that will keep things stable until I put the new fish in my main tank.

I'll continue to monitor parameters and change water as necessary.

Lady Hobbs
01-13-2012, 11:10 AM
If you are going to move your fish from one of your tanks to another of your tanks, you should not have to acclimate them again. That's only so they are not shocked my extreme changes in pH or temp shock.

kurly
01-13-2012, 11:38 AM
I mentioned possibly acclimating them again if I can't keep the PH at 6.6 - 6.8in the QT. It's been dropping down to 6.0 (maybe even lower) for some reason. The PH in my main tank stays around 6.8 on a consistant basis so I think there would be a pretty drastic change in going from a 6.0 (or even lower) PH to a 6.8 PH without acclimation.

Hopefully I won't have to worry about the PH dropping anymore in the QT. I did a water change last night and also replaced the "new" media in the QT filter with more cycled media so now the entire filter contains extra media from my existing cycled tanks.

I'll find out when I check my parameters in the QT today.

Lady Hobbs
01-13-2012, 11:44 AM
pH is never stable in uncycled tanks. It will straighten out for you.