PDA

View Full Version : 45 gallon stocking

Newman8r
01-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Hi I am used to Saltwater reef tanks, I have an empty 45 gallon that I would Like to set up for freshwater. I would like to know if anyone has any good ideas about what I can keep, I would like to keep tiger barbs and Neon tetras together. How about Hatchet fish? I want an awesome community tank. No plants yet. Thanks for the Help

Stlouisfish
01-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Quite honestly, I would just stick with the barbs or neons - larger groups of either would look really nice.

icefreeze57
01-10-2012, 06:07 PM
I love my TBs and suggest you getting a big school! (I only have 5 but I could see why people do 10!)

Not sure if they can go with neon though... I'm not a neon expert and wonder if they are fast enough to deal with the TBs

might want to get other barbs instead of the neons (or a different tetra... dainos might work too)

with a 45 you can even do a few "large" fish (maybe a shark, and a small/mid sized cichlid. I have mine with a red tail shark and a convict cichlid, you can a big school of TBs with another fish that goes solo and make it a semi-aggressive tank. If you want a community tank, I would go with other barbs with them. Nothing with long fins with the TBs)

ScottishFish
01-10-2012, 07:26 PM
What about a school of Cardinals along with more peacfull barbs like the ruby barbs, and have a kinda show piece fish, lace and moonlight gouramis are nice, The more well planted you have it the more places there are for the neons or cardinals to hide so you could have more aggressive fish like the TB's. My money is still on the barbs hassling or beating up the cardinals. Cory Cats are great community fish, definately get them thumbs2: Im not sure if your tank is big enough but a school of clown loaches would be nice and ive read they wont hassle cardinals or neons

Fishisompin
01-13-2012, 07:06 PM
A large school of tiger barbs is a stunning sight in a 45 gal.

vinodjbhatia
01-13-2012, 08:40 PM
Tiger barbs may be a little aggressive for neon tetras. I would have gone in for about 10-12 each of tiger barbs ane zebra danios along with a 4-5 corys at the bottom.

Fishisompin
01-13-2012, 08:46 PM
Yea, a group of corries would for sure enhance your tank.