PDA

View Full Version : peacock eel in a 29 gallon tank

echo123
01-08-2012, 07:15 PM
hey i m a new here but i have been keeping fish for over a year so i got some exp. This is the first time i have thought of getting a peacock eel. I got a 29 and is now cycling. would this work? since the sites i have been on says a 20 gallon as the smallest?!? If this can what other fish could live in peace

ALSO: Have a sandy substrate about salt sized(Black). Getting lots of hiding spaces.

Thanks for alll the help since first encounter with a spiny eel!

Cliff
01-08-2012, 07:25 PM
I don't know a lot about these fish (new kept one), but you might find the below info useful

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/mix/peacockeels.php

icefreeze57
01-08-2012, 07:33 PM
I WANT ONE!!!! Though I have to upgrade the hiding spots in my tank lol

echo123
01-08-2012, 07:57 PM
the site says 20 gallon for the smaller species and the length at least 24 since the max size is a foot. The length on my tank is 30 in. so i suppose it would work.. Also i think the sand i have is a bit to large(a larger than salt) anyone have ideas on sand DId do some research though still confused :sconfused: :sconfused:

toddnbecka
01-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Sand should be fine, you do need to keep the top of the tank completely and tightly covered though. If there's any opening they will find it and escape through it. They will eat small fish (like guppy fry) but aren't aggressive, usually stay burrowed in the sand with their nose sticking out all day long. Tankmates are iffy, eels aren't quick to find food and don't compete well with fast-swimming fish. On the other hand, establishing a good number of guppies or endler's livebearers in the tank before adding the eel would probably work out pretty well.

echo123
01-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Okk thanks for all the info this really helped out. THanks uu down from the islandss

Mith
01-09-2012, 07:51 PM
I have two of them. The substrate is fine sand. Most of the time you will only see their noses sticking out... (LOL). It's funny to see the other fish try and eat their noses... doesn't bother them though.

They come out at night, but when they get hungry enough, they'll come out and feed with the rest of the fish (they LOVE black worms)...

icefreeze57
01-10-2012, 03:10 AM
I have two of them. The substrate is fine sand. Most of the time you will only see their noses sticking out... (LOL). It's funny to see the other fish try and eat their noses... doesn't bother them though.

They come out at night, but when they get hungry enough, they'll come out and feed with the rest of the fish (they LOVE black worms)...

What do you have them with? I might want to add one to my tank (I've got tiger barbs, a convict, and a red tail shark)