PDA

View Full Version : can i use coconut bedding?

Countrylovin4evr
01-08-2012, 07:53 AM
I have a 10 gal that was used for hermit crabs. all are gone now so would like a betta tank. but I like the look and easy cleans of sand and dont really want rock again. in crab cage there was coconut bedding. would it be safe (if cleaned maybe sterilized) in a tank?

Dacotah7
01-08-2012, 10:06 AM
What do you want to use it for?
Substrate in a tropical tank? I think you could, but it may soften your water and leach tanis for a while.
As it is an organice material, it likely will decompose over time.

vinodjbhatia
01-08-2012, 10:14 AM
I think you would be fine with coconut. Coconut does have a tendency to reduce pH a bit. However bettas can do fine across a pH range of 5.5-7. What is the pH of your water?

Lady Hobbs
01-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Coconut bedding is used in vivariums where it's out of the water. Also potted plants, etc. I would not plan on using it under water. It would most likely float and and rot. It's only fiber.

Dacotah7
01-08-2012, 07:54 PM
You can always try it while you monitor your water conditions. It may float; I don't know. If it does you can try soaking it until it becomes water logged. Wet and over time, my guess it will turn dark brown or black (rotting); not having the appearance it has now.

With somewhat of a similar look, (hair-like fibers) you could plant dwarf carpet grass. It is low maintenance, will spread to cover the substrate if you let it, and could eliminate substrate maintenance in the right conditions.
You would need a good plant substrate and plant lights.

Unless you want an instant carpet, you do not need to buy a lot of pots or a "mat", as it will spread. Instead, buy 1 or 2 pots and spend the money on a good light and good growing medium.

Hairgrass, Dwarf (Eleocharis acicularis)
http://www.aquariumplants.com/Dwarf_Hairgrass_Eleocharis_acicularis_p/dhm1.htm

Other foreground plants:
http://www.aquariumplants.com/Foreground_Ground_Cover_s/23.htm

Countrylovin4evr
01-09-2012, 05:17 AM
It's been wettened before because of the hermit crab environment- it is "made to not rot' for them. I got it because it was the only thing that was rotting in a week for the crab. I changed it out every few months or so and it was just fine even with humidity. I was just curious if I could reuse it. And I have no idea what my ph is- sometimes we have hard water as seen in calcium deposits on sink. So it probably would be fine there.
I like the idea of the grass- but sure if I want to spend all that money on a light for a 10 gal betta and not for my 30 gal tropical community. I'm doing low light stuff for now. Kind of the reason I wanted to reclycle the bedding.