PDA

View Full Version : grafting bulb plants

Countrylovin4evr
01-08-2012, 02:54 AM
I think I have a form of Aponogetons but it's one of those walmart lilly things that came in package. So its doing great. Sometimes my mollies eat the floating leaves and I just pinch it off and in days I have a new one at top. Must be doing something right. Is there a way to graft a new plant of of that one so that I could give one to mom? Or even have more in my tank? I tried taking a stem I'd cut and leaving it in water but it just rotted. I see this thing has a root system from hell growing so could I snip a piece of root without hurting it and get that to grow a new bulb? This plant had a stem growing from it which got eaten and I thought the thing was dead. Left it in water another few months before it suddenly had a leaf appear half way up tank over night! This thing is like on steriods but yet has stayed a decent size for my tank. I really like it. I'm just trying to find ways to get more plants in my tank without having to spend a lot of money I don't have. I have some other plants that are floater/sort of embeded and one was doing good but has never really grown large then a few inches before having trouble and coming back. I've taken a few grafts from it that were doing ok then they disappeared. My guess is my darn black mollies. GRRR

Fall River
01-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Hi there,
I also used the "Wal-Mart" bulbs. One out of 8 sprouted, but WOW! It grew like a weed. I identified it as Apon Undulatus. If the stalk the grew out of it had developed it would have formed a new bulb on it. Mine did that and then sent up two stalks from the new bulb. The new stalks then grew two new bulbs! I bent (gently) the original stalk and planted the bulb( bulb crown showing). If planted too deep the bulb will rot.
BTW, I sent back the 7 bulbs that didn't grow. I had given up on them when an envelope showed up in the mail last week. Inside....? 25 bulbs!!! Waiting to see what happens next. Hoping for some diff species.

Countrylovin4evr
01-09-2012, 05:21 AM
it hasn't done that. its just got a lot of roots. Yeah only one of mine made it out of 2. But I got a 2 years ago and this one just recently took off