PDA

View Full Version : My platy had babies!

Michmabelle
01-07-2012, 01:17 AM
So I got home from work today to find some tiny fishes floating around in my tank. I didn't even realize my platy was preggers! The only problem is I had seperated her because she has some unknown disease that I haven't been able to cure.. And the tank I had her in is still cycling. I'm not sure what to do. My ammonia is at .25 and my nitrites are at .1. I was going to do my water change today but now I don't know if I should. Would it shock the fry to change the water right after they are born? I don't want to move them into my cycled tank because they will definately get eaten and there is only about 6 that are alive. Any suggestions?

kross
01-07-2012, 02:05 AM
Congrats on your recent addition. :)

The fry are more sensitive to poor water quality than adults. The toxins will hurt them more than any shock from fresh clean water would. Just make sure the temperature of the new water is as close as possible to the old water, and of course make sure to use dechlorinator such as Prime.

If you want to move the fry to your main tank, you can get one of those breeder cage thingies that float in the tank and keep the fry separate from the rest of the fish, but still allows water to flow through it. But those are only temporary, you'll want to move them into a growout tank as soon as it's cycled.

Pamela2Heaven
01-07-2012, 02:44 AM
Congrats on your new babies~

Michmabelle
01-07-2012, 03:13 AM
Thanks! I'm gonna go ahead and change the water tonight and get a net tomorrow to put them in the cycled tank. So excited to have a new addition to my tankthumbs2: I'm also going to grab some brine shrimp for them too. What other sorts of food do you feed to fry? I read a couple of articles on fry food. What has everyone had good results with?

DHighlander
01-07-2012, 03:17 AM
My platy had babys 2 about a week ago a day after I got them and started cycling the tank and ive ben doin 2 gallon water changes,every,other day and they are,fine and swiming,all over the breeder net