PDA

View Full Version : Community tank suggestions

65Guy
05-17-2006, 09:17 PM
Not exactly new to fishkeeping, but it's been a few years. I have started my 65 gallon fresh tank with 2 small black angels (to see if they die and to get the filters seeded). Ready now to set up a "community" tank. I'm not trying to see how many fish i can crowd in there and i'm not seeking the maxiumum number of species....just want a tank that gets along with each other, has interest and color.
I will overfilter with 2 emporer 400's so i will have reasonable water filtration and movement...
i have the tank set up with several dense artificial plants and some flagstone for some cover. will probably add a piece or 2 of driftwood when i find the right ones
so am looking for fish ...
once again, 2 goals 1) color/interest and 2) reasonbly gets along with each other
really like some of the yellow and blue cichlds and not afraid of making this a cichlid tank if they will get along (or leave alone) the angels.
Thanks

William
05-17-2006, 10:10 PM
Well considering the angels you already have and my love for cichlids I would suggest something along these lines.

4 Angels
4 Flag cichlids. (they are found in the same waters as angels and works very good with them
10-15 hatchetfish which will school near the surface and bring some life to that segment of the aquarium
4 Dwarf cichlids (an apistogramma species or blue rams)
4-6 corycats
4 ancisturs or farlowella cats.

I know that some will think that this is a lot of fish but it will work well in well decorated tank of that size since the species occupy different segments of the aquarium and have different behaviours minimizing conflicts between them while at the same time allowing the owner to se a lot of different behaviours and have a lively but not crowded aquarium. If you prefer to keep lees fish I would suggest removing the flag cichlids from the setup.

65Guy
05-19-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks, sounds like a great tank. Do you throw an algae eater in that mix?
and i don't recognize the last cat reference? is there a common name?
Do sharks (red tail or other) play in this mix or cause trouble?
and i like just for color, bright yellow cichlids, any issues with a couple of them in this mix??

Full3R
05-19-2006, 12:51 PM
Im assuming that this fish due to its peacefulness will not harm thew other fish and mine eats algea so i have to say no community tank is complete without a graceful Black Ghost Knife Fish, they grow quite large but wont harm your other fish thats my opion tho

William
05-19-2006, 05:45 PM
Ancisturs or farlowella cats are both great algae eater which is one of the reasons I put them in the setup. I have added a pic of a farlowella cat below. They are however not as common as ancisturs cats. Sturisoma is another option that could replace the ancisturs or farlowella cats.

As for the black ghost knife. Black ghost knife are nice and frindly and will work good in community setups like this one untill they grow a little larger. This it due to the fact that they are predatory fish and will eat anything small enough to be eaten.

farlowella Species.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/images/Freshwater/farlowella_cf_vittata_1.jpg