PDA

View Full Version : Rosette Plants and Lighting

Ghpr13
01-05-2012, 02:45 AM
Once again I find myself needing some advice...This time it's on lighting. I want to get some Rosette Swords for my 29g tank, but I would like to know what kind of fluorescent blubs I should use...When I started in aquariums as a kid, just having a fluorscent hood ment you were a serious hobbist...Now I see T5 and T8, and LED, 6500K...I just want to grow a few plants in my tank for my fish.

Just a little info...My tank is not in direct sunlight at anytime of the day. On sunny or clear days, the room gets light enough to read in, but I usually turn on my tank's light at about 10am and keep it on till about 11pm...I have 3 Rosette Swords in there now. I've had them about 2 months and they are doing good. No algae...Pelco and two Apple Snails take care of that, I guess.

So what say you forum members??? Is there a certain blub I should buy that will help my plants, or is all that fancy stuff mostly for salt water tanks?

Thanks for all replies,
Ghpr13 :)

Ghpr13
01-07-2012, 12:12 AM
Anyone???

Ghpr13:scry:

smaug
01-07-2012, 12:28 AM
They have been doing well for 2 months? Id say your doing fine then,sorry it took so long:hmm3grin2orange:

Ghpr13
01-26-2012, 09:49 PM
Well, I took a jump and got 10 Rosette Swords(Parviflorus V. Tropica), and 10
Red Melon Swords(Echinodorus Barthii v."red melon")

My tank looks great and my fish are loving them! I also changed out my substrate from what I was given with the tank to "Eco-Complete". I changed out the substrate mainly because the substrate I had in the tank seem to contain tiny seashells...which I believe was due to the previous owner having cichlids in this tank.

Anyway, I have the Rosette swords on one side of the tank, and the Red Melon swords on the opposite side of the tank...with the black "Eco-Complete" substrate, my tank looks quite amazing. I think it's so neat watching my fish swim through the plants, and they seem like they're enjoying themselves more than ever. I was even able to release some baby Mollies and baby Guppies I had in a breeder net, and they are all surviving just fine.

BTW: Thanks Smaug for your reply.

Ghpr13:ssmile:

Fishin Phil
01-26-2012, 09:53 PM
Glad to hear it's working out for you! thumbs2:

smaug
01-26-2012, 09:53 PM
10 of any sword is to much for a 55 gal much less a 29! If they do well the fish better get a machete to move in your tank:hmm3grin2orange:

Ghpr13
01-26-2012, 10:54 PM
10 of any sword is to much for a 55 gal much less a 29! If they do well the fish better get a machete to move in your tank:hmm3grin2orange:

Well, then I'll have a reason to tell the wife I need a much larger tank!:hmm3grin2orange:

Glad to hear it's working out for you! thumbs2:

Thanks!

Ghpr13:ssmile: