PDA

View Full Version : Talk about some tough shrimp

Lady Hobbs
01-03-2012, 11:57 PM
I decided to give my anubias a bleach bath. I started fertilizing last month and just as what happens "every" time I use ferts, I ended up with a case of BBA.

So, in the bleach solution goes my anubias. I left it 3 minutes and was rinsing it off and noticed about 10 cherry shrimp just swimming around in that bleach water. eeeeeewwwww Scooped them out and they are now back in their tank.

I would have thought instant death but not so!

Pamela2Heaven
01-04-2012, 12:21 AM
Wow! I am glad they made it - bet they are really clean!!:hmm3grin2orange:

kurly
01-04-2012, 12:50 AM
Glad they survived!

I just gave the anubias in my cherry shrimp tank a bleach bath today too. I was very careful to make sure that the shrimp on it "let go" before I took the plant out of the tank. There was one stubborn shrimp that wouldn't let go! So there I was swishing the anubias around in my tank trying to shake her off and she was probably saying "weeeeeeeee" like she was on a roller coaster ride!

She finally did let go otherwise she probably would have ended up in the bleach bath just like yours...lol

Lady Hobbs
01-04-2012, 12:52 AM
I shook off about 50 shrimp and thought I had them all. oops

kurly....do you use ferts? My anubius is the first to get BBA and it only takes about two weeks of using ferts. And I only fert one time a week after a water change. It really gets annoying.

kurly
01-04-2012, 01:23 AM
Lady Hobbs,
I must admit that I've been a little neglectful of my tanks over the last few months so wasn't keeping up with my fertilizing schedule. I'm getting back on track now. I use flourish products and usually only fert once a week as well after the water change. Sometimes twice with excel. I have the same problem with BBA on my Anubias and agree that it does become quite annoying.

I finally replaced the bulbs in the strip light on my 65 gallon tank today. Now the BBA on the big Anubias in there is screaming..... Look at me now! :wavingyellow:

I prefer not to..... I'm working on that as soon as I can.

Lady Hobbs
01-04-2012, 01:47 AM
That was cute and gave me a chucke!

kurly
01-04-2012, 04:18 AM
I'm glad you got a little chuckle out of that. I know all too well how frustrating it is to deal with BBA on anubias. Sometimes we just have to :lol: to keep from :yellowcry:

toddnbecka
01-04-2012, 08:23 AM
The simple solution would be to develop an appreciation for BBA. :hmm3grin2orange:
I seem to have it growing on some plastic plants now, and I don't use ferts.

kurly
01-04-2012, 12:53 PM
I guess you're right toddnbecka... I need to start looking in my tank and say..."Oh what Beautiful BBA my Anubias has!" instead of rolling my eyes and saying "ugh, I wish that nasty black stuff will just go away!"

It's going to have to be one of those mind over matter things with me. I hope my mind wins :ssmile:

Rue
01-04-2012, 02:54 PM
I would have thought the bleach would kill them too, but maybe it was dilute enough.

Lucky shrimp!

Lady Hobbs
01-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Family Dollar bleach. Prolly a gallon of water to 3 drops of bleach? LOL

It sure did kill that BBA on the plants tho!

AmyLynn
01-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Yeesh. I'm not sure I'd even survive a bleach bath. Diluted or not. LOL

Rue
01-04-2012, 06:35 PM

Believe it or not...you probably would. There was show about O/C behaviours on a while ago and one girl was addicted to scrubbing herself with bleach...

...however, I wouldn't advise trying it...*blech*

Red
01-04-2012, 07:00 PM

Micheal Jackson did :rolling: sorry, couldn't resist

I have almost killed a lot of fish, but usually they pull through. The thing about cherry shrimp, once you get the populations and generations in your own tank, the shrimp become very use to the water and could take a lot more. When the colony is new, they shrimp seem less adaptable, and are more fragile.

AmyLynn
01-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Let's say I refuse to attempt surviving a swim in bleach. Yuck!!

kurly
01-04-2012, 09:06 PM
I'm trying to get my cherry red population back up again. At one time I had too many to count in my 10 gallon but then became a bad shrimp keeper and kind of let the tank go for a few months. Still have about 25 in there and they are looking quite healthy and red so hopefully the population will begin to increase again soon.

I am happy to see my anubias in the shrimp tank with green leaves again after their little bleach bath yesterday. No more BBA. Probably won't last long so I'm going to enjoy it as long as I can.

Hope you enjoy yours too Lady Hobbs :smileyflower:

wijnands
02-20-2012, 04:30 PM
What is BBA?

Lady Hobbs
02-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Black Beard Algae