PDA

View Full Version : mystery eggs

Thunderbird
05-17-2006, 06:31 AM
Hi,

My daughter and I keep a 20g tall tank. It's been going very well, and it's been fun. Tonight, she looked in there and noticed a clump of eggs stuck to the glass in the corner of the tank about 4 inches below the waterline. It's not many - about 20 or 30, and they're large, about the size of a head of a pin. They seem too large for most of the fish she has in there.

She has a few species of raspboras and tetras, some hatchets, and some danios. She has one glass catfish, 1 small pleco (the kind that stay small), a yo-yo botia, 2 kuhli loaches, some sort of algae eaters (can't remember their names. O-something), some ghost shrimp and 3 larger decorative snails (one ram's horn and 2 unknown ones her dad got her at Wal-Mart). They've all been living together very happily for several months. The most recent additions were the snails and the O-somethings.

At first, we thought the eggs might be snail eggs, but after doing some research, they seem to be too few and the wrong color (they're pearly white). Does anybody have any idea whose eggs they are? Should we remove them, or just wait and see what happens? I'm really surprised the other fish haven't eaten them, but they keep swimming right by and ignoring them. I've no idea what to do, because the only thing baby I've ever had in my aquaria are guppies and mollies (and the occasional outbreak of botia appetizers.)

Thanks for your help.

William
05-17-2006, 04:51 PM
It is snail eggs. 99.9% sure. Different species of snails lays different color eggs (some species above and some below the water surface) The number of eggs can vary drstically. I have had very large and very small egg clusters from snails.

No other inhabitant of your tank lay nearly that large eggs.