PDA

View Full Version : FishyFishFish Tropical Tank Take 2

FishyFishFish
01-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Hello everybody,

Just to recap I have a 35 litre tank. Pictures of the tank can be seen in my other thread below (I have changed the whole layout of the tank bought a new filter and heater, I will post these pictures later today)

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=84447

So I treated the tap water with "Tetra AquaSafe" waited for one day, then added "Tetra SafeStart" the next day and let the filter run for 1 week.

I originaly went into the aquarium shop to buy "Neon tetras" but he recomended that I should first buy Two "Zebra Danios" and said wait for 3 weeks and then add the Neon tetras after he tests my water sample and sees if it is suitable to add the Neon tetras.

At the moment my Tank has Two Zebra Danios, the temperature of the tank is kept at a steady 24.5 degrees, I feed the danios 2 times a day.

Have I done the correct thing by listening to the aquarium shop keeper, and have I started my tank up correctly ? as I have mentioned above I will post pictures later tonight after work.

Regards,
FishyFishFish

dr_lew
01-03-2012, 02:20 PM
In this case, the shopkeeper gave you good advice. Neon tetras tend, from what I hear, to be very delicate and would NOT withstand the process of cycling a tank. Danios are much hardier and are a common choice for cycling fish with a fish-in cycle. If you have not already done so, you should really read about the Nitrogen cycle and learn how it works. You also need to get a liquid test kit (the API Freshwater master test kit is a popular choice) and test frequently for toxic ammonia and nitrites. If you get readings above 0.25ppm you will have to do water changes to keep the levels down.

One other note: while the danios are a good choice of cycling fish, these are schooling fish which will not be truly happy and may cause troubles if kept in a group of fewer than 6-8 individuals. Obviously, a proper school would take up almost all the space in your aquarium. Perhaps if the shopkeeper is agreeable and you take good care of them, he might be willing to let you trade them back in when your tank has cycled and you are ready for the tetras.

Lady Hobbs
01-03-2012, 03:58 PM
I also wonder how you will ever get a cycle going with 2 danio's. At that rate, it will take you a year to ever detect any ammonia level. Danio's are a good starter fish, that I agree. But they can also be wicked little devils and I don't know how any other fish would like being in a small tank with very fast and aggressive danio's. I would not have started with neons, either, but I would have gotten another small tetra.....like glowlights, perhaps.

Keep in mind, you have a 9 gallon tank. You will not be able to keep numerous species in that tank. Two species will be plenty and perhaps a couple apple snails or cherry shrimp. With danio's also, many other species do not appreciate their fast movement so you will have to pick your second species with that in mind.

FishyFishFish
01-03-2012, 04:35 PM
How many "Neon tetra" can I put next to the 2 danios ? and more importantly when

Lady Hobbs
01-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Others may have other idea's but my answer would be none. Neons are very timid fish and danio's are highly charged and aggression. In a big tank, sure enough, but I would not put neons in a small tank with danio's.

If I were you (and I'm not) I would return those danio's and get a school of small tetra's. After they have cycled the tank, only then would I add some neon's. And add that SafeStart with each water change until you have a cycle.

FishyFishFish
01-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Others may have other idea's but my answer would be none. Neons are very timid fish and danio's are highly charged and aggression. In a big tank, sure enough, but I would not put neons in a small tank with danio's.

If I were you (and I'm not) I would return those danio's and get a school of small tetra's. After they have cycled the tank, only then would I add some neon's. And add that SafeStart with each water change until you have a cycle.

If they do not accept to return the danios, I then most likely have no choice but to put the danios and neon tetra together. How do I know that my tank is cycled ?

dr_lew
01-04-2012, 12:25 PM
How do I know that my tank is cycled ?

Get a test kit and read about the Nitrogen cycle. Information about the cycle is available on this site and by a quick Google search.

Lady Hobbs
01-04-2012, 02:44 PM
I'm not sure why you would have no other choice. But, the neons will "probably" be fine with the danio's but I think they will be hiding so much you may not see them very often.

Do not add the neons until the tank is fully cycled.

DougStanley
01-04-2012, 02:49 PM
How do I know that my tank is cycled ?

Click on the link in Lady Hobbs signature.

FishyFishFish
01-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Hello everybody,

Tomorrow I will go to the fish shop, I think it is more sensible to keep to the zebra danios so I will only have 1 species in the tank.

How many zebra danio can I buy tomorrow to put next to the two already in there now ? my tank details and pictures are in the original post.

Thanks,
FishyFishFish

Lady Hobbs
01-28-2012, 08:06 PM
Keep in mind these fish are very active and IMO kinda nuts. LOL I think I would have gone with a small tetra that isn't such a hetic swimmer for your tank size. Like glowlight tetra's or some other small fish other than the neons. Or micro-rasbora. Something small but something that isn't such a frantic fish. But I also have to admit that I just plain do not like danio's so afraid I can't be very objective here. Unless you love the danios, perhaps you can trade them in?

I would have opted for the smaller fish and perhaps 10 of them. Did you read the label on the Tetra SafeStart? It's supposed to be added at the same time you add your fish, not a week before.

You still need to allow the fish to cycle the tank, tho, so still need to test for toxins and do a water change if needed.