PDA

View Full Version : whats wrong with my female bettas???

Arkie
08-16-2007, 04:42 AM
hey there,
ive recently decided to have a go at breeding from my female betta so i went and bought a beautiful boy for her and but them in their breeding tank, i had them seperated. they didnt really seem that interested and i read that maybe a change of mates might help, so then i got two more females and one more male. i thought with that many choices id have to get some sort of results. i put the males in a betta container that sticks on the inside of the breeding tank and put my three girls in the tank. was going to start to bring them into breeding condition together.everyone has been happy and healthy untill last night the girls didnt look very well, all lifeless and still but not dead. i got up this morning and the three were dead.
its not the water as the boys are fine, and its not from the pet stores tank as the original girl i had died aswell.
if anyone has any ideas id really appreciate hearing them cause now i feel like i should just stick with breeding swordtails and platys.
thanx

MeganL3985
08-16-2007, 07:51 PM
Wow thats crazy....umm....I dont even know what to say.
Were you keeping the females all in one container?

sergo
08-16-2007, 08:31 PM
if they all were in the same tank i'd bet on that they all ended up fighting each other to the death. females fight just as hard as the males. i found that out firsthand.

Lady Hobbs
08-16-2007, 10:40 PM
Or having 5 bettas in one tank spiked the ammonia.

sergo
08-16-2007, 10:42 PM
that would have to be one hell of a spike. those little bugers are tough when it come to water conditions.

Nick_Pavlovski
08-16-2007, 11:49 PM
The new additions may have been carrying illnesses...

I had two ladies and one gent in my 15g earlier this year, and the two ladies would fight quite often...

Arkie
08-17-2007, 02:01 AM
i had them in a 2 ft tank, i tested all the amonia levels and stuff and it was all good. i didnt see them fight and tank is pretty densely planted so there would have been heaps of places for them to hide. maybe it was a disease from when i got them. ive done a complete water change and my boys are still doing well. i might just forget breeding the bettas, dont wanna kill anymore of them.