PDA

View Full Version : Used tank and how to clean it before use

kristybe
05-16-2006, 08:50 PM
I just received a used tank from my brother-in-law. He had all healthy fish, but the tank has been in storage for over 2 years. I am wondering what I should use to clean it.

He has his used gravel, and some pieces of slate for decoration. Also some pieces of wood for decor. Are these o.k to reuse or should I buy new.

I read a previous post about cleaning with salt.....how to do that? Is that the best option? The tank looks fairly clean, just a little dust....but no big spots on the glass or anything.

rollie
05-16-2006, 09:12 PM
just give it a good cleaning with salt and water. gavel ,you might want to boil it.

kristybe
05-17-2006, 01:20 AM
Aquarium salt? or does it matter? concentration of salt to water? or does it matter?

Thanks a bunch!!!!!
Kristy

William
05-17-2006, 01:38 AM
Aquarium salt is better but it isn't that important when your cleaning an empty tank as long as you rinse it carefully afterwards. (always use aquarium salt in an active aquarium)

You might also want to consider using some vineager if you have chalk deposits on the glass of the tank.

kimmers318
05-17-2006, 04:07 AM
Welcome to the forum Kristy....be forewarned...most if not all of us started with 1 tank!

William
05-17-2006, 05:42 AM
Yeah, But for how long before you got your second one? ;-)

kimmers318
05-17-2006, 12:14 PM
Well, when my daughter bought hers for Christmas we were already waiting on the 90, 64 and 20 gal that we purchased used. I say waiting because it was hard to mesh schedules of the seller, us, and the sellers stepdaughter (my friend) who was taking us over to pick them up. Since then we have added a 10, 75, and 29 gallon....go figure!

kristybe
05-18-2006, 02:21 PM
This is actually my second tank. We started a 20 gallon a few months ago. I really want to try a saltwater tank, but saving up money to do it right. I am hooked. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Citizen
07-15-2006, 08:08 PM
K well I am new too and just got my first tank, a used 10 gallon, from a garage sale... I'm not sure about the previous user or how long it had been in storage but there is a tiny crack in the glass about two inches above one of the corners and the crack itself is only about an inch long. The crack looks like it is inside the glass and I can't feel it on either side... I filled it up with water and I'm letting it sit on my porch so I can see if it leaks... I will probably leave it there for a few days before I decide to start setting up the tank...

Also, when I decide to set up the tank, I need to know how to do it. All I have now is a betta but I'm getting a few from petsmart and petco once I set it up. But my real question is on materials... I have a fish net thingy, a scrubber thingy, food, gravel, a few plants and other decor. What else do I need? I can get an underground filter from WalMart for 10 bucks and an air pump for six... do I need both of these? Or just one or the other? I am going to get an air pump regardless so I can hook up a few air toys or whatever so is it worth it to get an underground filter?

And sorry for all of the questions... just trying to figure it all out lol

Citizen
07-15-2006, 08:08 PM
Oh and it is most definately fresh water... salt water seems like too much of a hassle and too much of a mess for where I am setting up my tank...

William
07-17-2006, 05:59 PM
it depends on what fish you are going to keep. you won't need the air pump if you go with bettas and gouramis but can be good if you keep other fish. I would recommend that you get some type of filter. Either a undergravel filter (you need a powerhead or air pump to run it) or an internal canister filter.

A heater is also money well spent.