PDA

View Full Version : So I got a Christmas Present...

Nakor
12-29-2011, 04:18 PM
My girlfriend with good intentions got me an aquarium, rocks, some fake plants, a heater, and the offer to buy me some fish.

Now she did this because Im a student, living in an apartment where I cant have pets really, and I left my golden retriever at home. I love dogs, I would have as many as I could afford really, and will someday, but not in this apartment! Im also the kind of person who takes the spiders outside and brushes mosquitoes off instead of squishing them. Just so I don't seem like a complete wuss, I was also in the infantry reserves (Canadian) for six years (this means full time work for 1/3 of the year to anyone who cares). ANYWAY, I digress.

She got me http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=1257&pf_id=56644, not sure if that's the exact one, mine was a 6.6g. http://www.fluvalblog.com/ is the best I can find of that companies "website". First I thought, I get emotionally attached to things way too easily, are fish really a good choice for me? After looking up potential fish life spans, I felt better about this.

Then of course my engineering and physics background took over and I began thinking practically and ridiculously in respect to my degrees (engineering for the "how?" and physics for the "well what if..."). Most importantly I want the fish to be happy. I have already taken everything back (sorry girl) since high tanks are not good for a larger population, and 6.6g isnt very big. Now I have visions of 55g saltwater tanks floating in my head...I watch too much blue planet.

Anyway, all in all still undecided about even getting fish, especially where I will have to move in the future, possibly more than once, and being a student could be gone fairly often. I don't want to get fish just to kill them!

I've been doing a lot of reading on this site as well as others, I plan to make an informed decision. And by god live rock is expensive!

DylanisHawttt
12-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Welcome to the forum :22:

Researching before buying is one of the keys to success in this hobby. Wise move.

Cliff
12-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Welcome to the forum

+1 to the above. I'm very glad to hear you are researching before jumping in. thumbs2:

vinodjbhatia
12-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Welcome to the forum.

DougStanley
12-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Welcome to AC:22:

The best thing you can do is read, read, and read some more.

Lady Hobbs
12-29-2011, 05:05 PM
Welcome to AC.

Not sure as a fish tank is an ideal gift for someone unless you know they are interested in keeping fish and have the time to put into a tank. Like all hobbies, it's not for everyone.

You may wish to do something other than small fish.....perhaps set it up with only shrimp.....or perhaps frogs or a gecko. There are other options you can use for this tank.

Nakor
12-29-2011, 05:55 PM
Well I have already taken all of it back, just so the return time didn't run out. Does anyone have experience moving wish fish?

Lady Hobbs
12-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Post your questions in the forum because this is the Introduction thread.

oscarkid36
12-30-2011, 12:23 AM
hello and welcome to the forum.:22:

Cyberra
12-30-2011, 07:23 AM
^_^ Welcome to the community

gadget228
12-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Welcome to the AC... :22:

Goes to 11!
12-30-2011, 07:19 PM
Welcome to the forum

+1 to the above. I'm very glad to hear you are researching before jumping in. thumbs2:
+2 - Same here! thumbs2: