PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is going on!?! HELP PLZ

AquaQueen
08-15-2007, 06:05 PM
OK, Last night I was watching the Oscars eating when I noticed my Catfish(brown bullhead) had this little cut on his side. I have no clue how it got there, the Oscars run from him so I doubt there was any fighting going on and there is only one fake tree stump, two fake plants and a gargoyle in the tank so nothing is sharp that could have cut him. The water is perfect. So I am clueless on how it got there! I went and checked on them and it don't look like there's been any change today bad or good. So I was wondering should I do anything? I got two pics of it to show you what it looks like. What do you think?

Spyder
08-15-2007, 09:32 PM
I would do a few daily water changes and add some aquarium salt.

TowBoater
08-16-2007, 01:32 AM
Yea, looks like he chased something and got that piece hung on something. He will be fine, just do as spyder said, water changes and aquarium salt. Might add a little stress coat as well.

gm72
08-16-2007, 01:50 AM
I agree with the above and would definitely add stress coat as Kuli suggested.

Lady Hobbs
08-16-2007, 01:59 AM
I have a stump like you have and if you check it out, there are a few places where the "branches" cross over one another leaving small spaces. I would venture a guess he got in one of those areas and couldn't get out. My loaches got caught in mine, as well, so I stuck a rock in the holes, hammered them in to cover the holes, and now all is well with it.

If you check it out closer, you will see they can get into the hole at the bottom and end up stuck in the legs of the branch.

For now, I have removed my stump and will use it for a small fish only tank and it may be a good idea for you, as well?

TowBoater
08-16-2007, 02:13 AM
I like that stump, did you buy it or what? I would like to use one in the future tank I am planning with like a ton of neons and stuff.

Lady Hobbs
08-16-2007, 02:22 AM
I bought mine from one of the members here because I liked it too but I've seen them at PetSmart.

AquaQueen
08-16-2007, 04:13 AM
OK good I did exactly that...I added some stress coat to the tank as soon as I noticed he was wounded. I will put the salt in tomorrow. I have been adding this stuff called Vita-Chem with every water change for the past month r so, it's a vitamin supplement for the fish. I guess it is supposed to help them fight off disease and infections and also provides vitamins the foods dont offer them, and enhances their natural colors.

I am wondering though, I was checking out the Pimafix & Melafix on the DrsFoster&Smith website and I was thinking of buying some of both and adding the Melafix instead of the stress coat when I change the water again. Is this stuff any better? It sounds like it is, they claim that this stuff will heal an open wound in 4 days. Has anyone here ever used it? I also want to know if I use the Melafix should I still use the stress coat? Or should I use both the Pimafix & Melafix instead?

AquaQueen
08-16-2007, 04:23 AM
I think you are right Hobbs I seen him up inside the stump a few times and he has gotten bigger so I'd put money on it that he tried to get up there and got stuck...do you remember a while back he got stuck inside a skull that we had in the old tank with him? Hubby had to cut him out with a pair of siding snips he was lucky that Paulie came home because I was sleeping and had no idea he was even stuck.

I got that stump along with my other one that I am no longer using(used to be in my hex) with the 60gal my brother took it from his neighbors trash and SOLD it to me....so I have no clue where it was bought but I have seen them on the DrsFoster&Smith.com in the fish tank deco section. They are pretty cheap too.

Spyder
08-16-2007, 10:55 AM
OK good I did exactly that...I added some stress coat to the tank as soon as I noticed he was wounded. I will put the salt in tomorrow. I have been adding this stuff called Vita-Chem with every water change for the past month r so, it's a vitamin supplement for the fish. I guess it is supposed to help them fight off disease and infections and also provides vitamins the foods dont offer them, and enhances their natural colors.

I am wondering though, I was checking out the Pimafix & Melafix on the DrsFoster&Smith website and I was thinking of buying some of both and adding the Melafix instead of the stress coat when I change the water again. Is this stuff any better? It sounds like it is, they claim that this stuff will heal an open wound in 4 days. Has anyone here ever used it? I also want to know if I use the Melafix should I still use the stress coat? Or should I use both the Pimafix & Melafix instead?

Stress Coat and Melafix are two very different items. Melafix is a very mild antibotic. It would not be a bad idea to use Melafix on a non serious injury like you catfish has. The stress coat will really do nothing to cure the injury, the Melafix will. Still think salt and clean water will do wonders for healing. You can use the Melafix with Stress Coat.

HTH

*Sarah*
08-16-2007, 02:28 PM
The active ingredient in Melafix is Melaluca (aka Tea Tree Oil) so it is safe, but it does have a very strong smell...and I wouldn't want to use it that often. I'd stick with the stress coat or whatever you use :)

AquaQueen
08-16-2007, 02:34 PM
Oh it's stinky huh, I am glad you told me that. I am still going to buy some and see how it works, but now I know it stinks so I will have my son step outside he is sensitive to strong smells. If it can help him(the catfish) heal faster then it's worth trying it out. Thanks.

TowBoater
08-16-2007, 03:26 PM
Should be able to get it around any big store such as wal-mart, the wallyworld here has it.

AquaQueen
08-17-2007, 02:49 AM
well the Wally-World I go to is all out of it right now so I am going to the NH store tomorrow. I have to get it, there is still no change in the cut at all. It is not like he is bothered by it either I just dont want him to get an infection or anything from his side being open like that. Today I changed about 30% of the water, added some salt and stress coat. Everyone still seems to be fine.

TowBoater
08-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Ain't to much more you can do.