PDA

View Full Version : Minimum age/size of RCS to transport?

Jayme
12-28-2011, 12:26 AM
So when people said that RCS breed like rabbits I figured that mostly happened in nice fancy tanks with lots of moss and under perfect water conditions (hardness, pH, etc.) but I didn't think I would be that lucky to ever have to worry about "too many" shrimp. However when I purchased my little guys and gals the seller shipped extra to ensure any DOAs would be covered except everyone survived!

Of course not a bad thing at all however I started with 17, 1 has already had at least 10 little ones and I have 3 more berried and about 6 or 7 (not often they are all in view to count accurately) that are saddled.

The problem is my "shrimp tank" is only a 6 gallon! I can put some in my 25 (after my trapdoors finish off the hydra) when they are big enough since I only have dwarf corydoras, emerald eye rasboras, japanese trapdoor snails, and a few amano shrimp (I know they can't breed with the RCS but I'm assuming they won't hurt them either?) but I see the day when I need to start selling/giving some away coming quite soon. Hopefully I will be able to find someone locally that I can trade with as well to keep the gene pool fresh.

So now that I've rambled on about the situation here is my question. Is there a minimum age and/or size that is best for transporting young RCS? I know that young ones travel better but I'm sure very young ones are more delicate. I just want to make sure I am giving the little guys and girls the best shot at survival and the least amount of stress. Thanks in advance for any insight on the subject!

Algenco
12-28-2011, 11:19 AM
you don't need to worry for some time, that 6g tank can easily support 200 RCS.

As long as you include something for them to hang on to size isn't important.
When you feel your overstocked you can send the extras to me :)

lost all mine due to health problems

Jayme
12-29-2011, 03:08 AM
you don't need to worry for some time, that 6g tank can easily support 200 RCS.

As long as you include something for them to hang on to size isn't important.
When you feel your overstocked you can send the extras to me :)

lost all mine due to health problems

Thanks for the reply!

I am trying to visualize 200 shrimp in there and I just can't wrap my head around it, lol.

When I have my shrimp explosion and I learn how to properly ship and get supplies for shipping perhaps I can send you some for shipping cost or something! Assuming by then you still need/want them anyway, heh.

I guess there probably isn't a whole lot to it since mine came in just a bag with a small piece of plastic mesh type stuff to hang on to and the bag was wrapped in a little newspaper and a thin layer of styrofoam stuff in low 40 degree temps (maybe colder where they came from). They arrived colorless and cold but came out just fine after an hour or so of drip acclimation:)

It still amazes me that live creatures can survive a trip like that, especially since I've seen how those packages can be handled!