PDA

View Full Version : Starting my new tank after all the problems

cody11
12-27-2011, 02:04 AM
Hi all,

After all the trauma with losing 4 fish, I am starting from scratch. I have cleaned out the 10 gal keeping divider in and hot water cleaning all the greenery. I have turned up the heat on the heater and will keep it at around 78. The only thing I can think of that I did wrong was let the heater fall below 74 at night.

Another question} Do you think it is alright to put Stress Zyme + in the tank. I use it in my 20 gal for my tetras to keep the water clean and it has live bacteria. Thanks

Cliff
12-27-2011, 02:06 AM
Why not just do a fishless cycle ?

I've found it to be easier than cycling with fish, even when using products like stress zyme.

Just a suggestion based on my experiance

cody11
12-27-2011, 02:58 AM
Hi, I am doing a fishless cycle. I am just getting it ready with water and heat. Tomorrow I will get the fish.

Cliff
12-27-2011, 02:59 AM
Hi, I am doing a fishless cycle. I am just getting it ready with water and heat. Tomorrow I will get the fish.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand. Are you planning to cycle your tank with fish ?

cody11
12-27-2011, 03:46 AM
Hi ,

I am not cycling with fish. Betta's don't need a cycled tank. My question was is it ok to use the stress-styme. I wanted to use it to help keep the water clean. It probably isn't necessary since I do 20% water changes every three days.

William
12-27-2011, 03:53 AM
All fish need/ should be given a cycled tank since that will given them a more stable environemnt. Some do better in an uncycled tanks than other but that is no reason not to cycle.

Cliff
12-27-2011, 03:55 AM
All fish can benift for a cycled tank, bettas included.

I know people can successfully keep them in uncycled tanks, but it is not the best thing for them and it can lead to water quality problems if you are not careful. The goal should be to aim for the optimal, not the minimal.

It could have also been a part of the reason why you last betta's did not do well the last time, in addition to the heater failing

I would hate to see you have any more problems with your fish

Just my $0.02 tho

DougStanley
12-27-2011, 04:35 AM
+1 to william and cliff all fish and invertebrate need a cycled tank. Saying they don't need a cycled tank is like saying a dirty home is fine for yourself. You may survive but it won't be comfortable.

cody11
12-27-2011, 05:10 AM
This is the first time I have ever heard of needing to cycle a betta tank. Even anything you read on bettas say the tank doesn't need cycling . I had a betta for two years and he never had a cycled tank. This is a first.

Cliff
12-27-2011, 05:20 AM
I would suggest reading the threads here about cycling (the first two links I have in my sig). Based on your comments in your second post in this thread, I just want to make sure that we are talking about the same thing.

cody11
12-27-2011, 06:09 AM
Hi Cliff,

Would it help, if I either put the used filter from my 20 gal in the 10 gal and maybe some of the water from the 20 also. That tank has been up and running for a year. thanks

Cliff
12-27-2011, 06:15 AM
Yup, it would certainly help to use some of the media from your 20 gallon.

I would not move all of the media as that would cause you to lose your cycle in the 20 gallon. Almost all of the bacteria that you need to have is in the filter media

cody11
12-27-2011, 07:05 AM
Thank you so much, I will put the used filter in the 10 and put a new filter in the 20. I wish I would have known this before maybe the other fish would have lived. Your never too old to learn. So thanks again.