PDA

View Full Version : problem with mystery snails

Kaga's Kritters
08-15-2007, 02:38 PM
I have a black and a gold mystery snail. They were doing great for a few weeks but now they don't look so good. The shells look terrible. The gold snails shell looks like it's getting thin or something. The shells used to looks clean and healthy, but don't look like that anymore. Also the snails are very inactive now too. I think they are dieing. But why????

cocoa_pleco
08-15-2007, 02:55 PM
whats your water quality like? that could affect the snail, mainly ammonia. the snails shells will naturally crack from age but that you can glue together, but this sounds bad. also, what temp are they at? at anything less than 75f they get lethargic

Kaga's Kritters
08-15-2007, 03:14 PM
the temp is only about 70 - 72 F. I don't have heaters in my tanks yet but the water stays warm enough for the fish i have, for now. i need to get heaters though.....plan on doing that soon. they were doing good with the temps that low though, just recently they started acting sluggish and looking bad. the ammonia and everything is good, so that is not the prob.

cocoa_pleco
08-15-2007, 04:17 PM
i personally think its the temperature. a long time back i had one with a betta in a bowl, no heater. the snail suddenly got lethargic then i got a heater and a 10g and the snail perked right up

Kaga's Kritters
08-15-2007, 04:20 PM
cool, i will go get a heater for each tank as soon as i can. thanks.

genitor
08-15-2007, 04:22 PM
What is the ph of your water? Snail shells will break down in acidic water especially if there is not enough calcium in the water and their diet.

cocoa_pleco
08-15-2007, 04:29 PM
What is the ph of your water? Snail shells will break down in acidic water especially if there is not enough calcium in the water and their diet.

ahhh, i cant believe i forgot that. youre right too about the calcium

Kaga's Kritters
08-15-2007, 04:34 PM
the ph has been kind of low (around 6.5) lately. i have added crushed coral to raise the ph. how do you get calcium in the water and diet?

cocoa_pleco
08-15-2007, 04:42 PM
calcium is found in PH buffers, and sometimes theres a calcium block thing you can feed to snails

Rue
08-15-2007, 11:05 PM
I use a liquid Calcium supplement (Kent's brand)...I add a bit every 2 weeks...seems to be enough...

Incredulous_Ed
08-16-2007, 05:10 PM
Yeah, It sounds like a calcium definciency. Yu can add some crushed coral substrate, or add some limestone or others calorous rocks.

cocoa_pleco
08-17-2007, 01:04 PM
Yeah, It sounds like a calcium definciency. You can add some crushed coral substrate, or add some limestone or others calorous rocks.

yep, thats the easiest way to buffer it. within a few months youre snail should look better

Kaga's Kritters
08-17-2007, 02:45 PM
i just added crushed coral a few days ago to help with my pH.