View Full Version : Got Algea? Read this

Spyder
08-15-2007, 12:57 PM
I have found this info most helpful, hope you agree

http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/

RobbieG
08-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Nice link Spyder

Although I deliberately grow the green beard - I love it!

Lady Hobbs
08-15-2007, 01:55 PM
Good article but now I am more confused than ever!

I have planted my little 20 gallon twice already and given up twice ripping all the plants out. Amazon swords just withered away with transparent leaves. I had them in gravel, plant tabs and 28 watt T-5 lights. Also CO2.

I decided the lights were not good enough for these plants so this week have placed an order for only crypts that should be OK in this light. I have java fern attached to wood that has been in the tank for 3 months and still have not attached to the wood. They just sit there. :(

Brown algae is plentiful!! And now I am even getting the green, hard algae spots on the glass that have to be scrapped off. I have also ordered a phosphate test kit and phosphate/silica removers. Yes. I have hard water but this danged planted tank is the only one that gets that annoying algae.

Actually, the plant is not even planted any longer. I jammed a bunch of plastic plants in the tank and let the live plants float thinking they'd get a better light source nearer to it. Algae still and now even covering the plastic plants!!

This is just about annoying! With all the problems with this little tank, I sure would hate to plant a big tank!

So......why do I even get algae just tossing a plant in the tank to float?

As always, ammonia 0, nitrites 0 and nitrates .5. My nitrates are always very low and most of the time nearly 0. Ph 7.6.

Chrona
08-16-2007, 12:04 AM
Great link Spyder! Once that guy mentioned Tom Barr, I had full faith :)

Spyder
08-16-2007, 01:57 AM
His influences are both Tom Barr and Steve Hampton. Pretty much anything I may know comes from advice I've recieved from Steve.