PDA

View Full Version : betta fish

jennai
08-15-2007, 10:03 AM
hello

i am after some answers if anyone can be of some help..

i bought a betta fish as a gift for a friend on thurday, we were careful and placed it in its fish bowl which is approximately 4 litres. it has stones at the bottom of the bowl, a small ornament and a light over the opening to keep the water warm.

this fish died on saturday night.

i bought another betta fish from a different shop on sunday and this one lasted less than 12 hours :scry:

does anyone have any ideas why they keep dying??

it would be much appreciated.

my friend feels terrible

thankyou

xx

SkarloeysMom
08-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Did you treat the water with conditioner to remove the chorine?

*Sarah*
08-15-2007, 03:14 PM
First thing that came to my mind was removing the chlorine from the water before putting the fish in.

TowBoater
08-15-2007, 03:31 PM
Yup, that is what I thought. You also need a tank with a filter. You can buy a cheap one at walmart for like 20$ that has everything you need except decor. Make sure to treat the water and cycle it.

Nick_Pavlovski
08-15-2007, 11:02 PM
Did the small tank have a heater? Bettas are tropical fish, which means they need warm water, not room temperature water (no matter what the people in the shop who sold it to you will say).

Also, you often can't use water directly from the tap to put into a tank - the water from a tap has lots of chemicals in it to make it safe for humans to drink, but those chemicals can hurt fish. So, you need to use some other chemicals to make the tap water safe for fish, before you put fish in.

See the threads about "cycling" that you will find throughout this forum, and please please please read the free e-book, at http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

troy
08-15-2007, 11:30 PM
Not unless you have well water.