PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Armadillos as pets

William
12-22-2011, 02:45 AM
This started as a reply in a thread but I decided to post it as a separate thread if someone else want to find it.

Armadillos can be tricky to keep but it is usually no problem if you can get your hands on a healthy adult.

Babies have a tendency to die without any reason but there are also the problems that they:
- Get cold and/or Dehydrated very quickly and therefore need food often.
- Have a tendency to get their food down the wrong pipe and into the lungs. They usually cough it up but if they are in anything but top condition it can be fatal.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1949401/cage/armadillo.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1949401/cage/armadillo2.jpg
Two pictures of a pet baby armadillo. They are very cute but I do not recommend getting them at this size as per above.

If you want to try I recommend feedings every two hours and that you keep it in bed with you. They like sleeping between your pillow and neck.

If you want to get an adult one the problem is that most specimens for sale, at-least here are in less than peak condition and it can be hard to rear them back to health.

If you can get a healthy specimen they can be kept on a diet based around dog food and different complements. If they can be allowed out into the garden and eat ants that helps. They love cheese but should not be given too much.

Somethings to remember (that might surprise):
- Armadillos are excellent climbers.
- Armadillos are excellent jumpers and can jump 2-3 ft into the air.
- Armadillos quickly become tame and will come and lick your feet.
- Armadillos are very strong which needs to be consider when choosing housing. (my run around the house as he please)
- Armadillos are not destructive. Despite the claws they seldom do any damage to anything besides plastic bags. Plastic bags are unresistable if you are an armadillo and must be brought back to your nest.
- Armadillos (most) Do not dig if provided a hiding place. (unless kept with soft dirt in which case the instinct to burrow takes over)
- Armadillos gets a long nicely with dogs. At least the ones I have kept. The dogs seems to consider them weird puppies.
- Armadillos become more and more day active as they become more secure in their environment.
- Armadillos love a dog pillow and will pork out on them and sleep like a big.
- Armadillos do not like to be wet but enjoy a mud puddle during warm days. (If they are secure enough to come out during the days).
- It is normal for armadillos to not come out during rainy days. In the wild they do not lie rain but come out to feast afterward.

Always make sure you know where the armadillo is. It is very easy to by mistake close them into a seldom used room or closet if you do not make sure that it haven't snuck in while you had the door open. This is especially important if you let you armadillo run loose as it might be common not to see the little guy for a couple of days and getting stuck in a room without food for that time might cause problems.

Any questions are welcome!

Aeonflame
12-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Awesome first hand info William. This sort of advice is impossible to get online. I think I will try it. They are very interesting animals.

gadget228
12-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Never knew Armadillos could make such nice pets, Great thread... thumbs2:

William
12-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Happy to help. They do make nice pets but is not for everyone.

Pamela2Heaven
12-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Wow - who would have thought...I know they are cute little guys. Living in Texas - they are quite a common site when camping. We have sat by the fire and 5 or 6 would come out at night looking for food.

AmyLynn
12-22-2011, 04:09 PM
How the heck do you potty train an armadillo???

William
12-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Well you do not really need to since they have extremely dry, almost nutlike scat but most will prefer to go in one place so you can simply but a litter box in that spot to get them used to the idea.

They do release a foul smell when freightened. This is common when you first get them but will be hardly existant in a few weeks after they get use to you. After a while they do not even make it when you handle them. It is not like a skunk smell and is not sprayed but is not pleasent either.

Rue
12-22-2011, 04:54 PM
...I want an armadillo! But mine has to be potty-trained...

:1luvu:

William
12-22-2011, 04:58 PM
You could have it done in a week or so.

I might add that a Armadillo produce very little waste.

Aeonflame
12-22-2011, 05:03 PM
There's some nice fat ants in my garden for it to munch on.

William
12-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Thats the main reason that I keep it. Ant free garden. Ants seems to stay away from areas that smell armadillos. Two days after I got it i stopped seing ants in the house or garden. Much better than toxins.

Rue
12-22-2011, 05:17 PM
We live in ant central! Ants up the whazzoo!

Now that I know they're easy to potty train, I just have to find one that comes with a fur coat, for our cold winters...

William
03-02-2012, 01:15 AM
Just updated this guide with a few baby pics.

Here they are again for those who do not want to reread the first page.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1949401/cage/armadillo2.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1949401/cage/armadillo.jpg

Goes to 11!
03-02-2012, 01:49 AM
Great pics! SO cute lol.

Man, I want one & it's a neat idea but my dog would not allow the company.

William
03-02-2012, 01:55 AM
Actually it most likely will. To my suprise dogs and armadillos do well together and they large ignore eachother. I think it has to do with pet armadillos not running from dogs so the hunting instinct isnt triggered.

William
03-02-2012, 02:03 AM
I should add that we have 5 adult dogs and 11 puppies- None of which have a problem with armdillos. (We never had to train them)

Goes to 11!
03-02-2012, 02:05 AM
That info is much appreciated but my dog is a rescue and is entirely uncool with any animal whatsoever.

We think the previous owners fought him and he simply wants to immediately kill any other creature. He is cool with me as I am the top dog in the house but I am careful with him around other people and other animals at this point are out.

I can admit I have almost given up on him several times [But not yet] and he is a work in progress.

On the plus side I don't worry about locking my house much as my security system is always on duty. ;-)

Old Marine
03-02-2012, 04:23 AM
Very Interesting and informative, Thank You for sharing.

patinthehat
03-02-2012, 04:40 AM
Well i grew up on a farm in arkansas. We had horses and cattle. We had to be careful cause armadillos would dig holes in the pastures and the horses could step in the hole and break their leg. We also had some try to burrow under the house. When we saw em, we just shot them. The tame ones might be ok. But the wild ones can pose problems if not dealt with

William
03-02-2012, 04:55 AM
They can. But much more up there than down here since they are an "invasive" (new) species up there (allthough one that have extended their own range rapidly rather than being helped by humas).