PDA

View Full Version : freshwater sand filter problems

ctown cichlid
08-14-2007, 11:49 PM
I have a 55 gal sand freshwater setup. 2 weeks after I set up the sand my filter started making a loud noise, then stopped working altogether. Whats going on with my filter? Can i do a quick fix on it? Any preventitive steps that I can take? Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks!

gm72
08-15-2007, 12:29 AM
We need to know what specific filter you have to help you diagnose the problem.

ctown cichlid
08-15-2007, 12:33 AM
We need to know what specific filter you have to help you diagnose the problem.
its a penguin 200 bio wheel

A340
08-15-2007, 06:02 AM
Just a shot in the dark, but I'm guessing your filter sucked up some sand in the intake tube and it got into your impeller which could have seized your filters motor. If you can, take apart your filter, grab a flashlight and take a peek into the impeller of your filter, if you see sand, that's the problem.

You didn't mention if it started to work again, if so, I'd clean it out as best as possible, if not, you'll probably have to get a new filter (or at least motor, but complete systems are just as cheap as most replacement parts).

If this is what happened, there are two ways you can remedy the cause of the problem:

1) Cut your intake tube so the bottom part sits only half way down your tank, this reduces the distance from the sand substrate to the intake tube of the filter reducing the chance of sand particles floating up and getting sucked into your filter.

2) Buy a sponge (there are ones pre-cut for powerhead filters) and slip it over the intake tube of your filter which will trap the sand particles from being sucked in.

My 10g brackish tank has a sand bottom and I had 2 filters die on me within 24 hours because of sand in the impeller. Since then, I added a pre-filter sponge on the intake tube and have had no problems since. I'm just glad the filters were the cheap ones that came with the kit and were only used as spares. Also, make sure you rinse out the pre-filter sponge when you do your water changes.

gm72
08-16-2007, 12:17 AM
Great information, alizee. Well said!

Lady Hobbs
08-16-2007, 12:38 AM
I was able to cut my uplift tubes with a hack saw. They should be up about 4 inches from the sand.

Cracks post was right on! When messing with the sand, allow it to settle before turning your pumps on.