PDA

View Full Version : what do I do to go salty?

ashm5
08-14-2007, 10:53 PM
I have a 15 gallon tank and was just wondering (literally just wondering at the moment) is it worth converting this to saltwater or is it too small to bother or wil it cost just as much to convert a larger tank? how many fish will I be able to get if I did? will my current filters be suitable or do I need special saltwater ones? do I have to have live corals etc? what extra stuff do I need to buy? and what does the pH have to be or does that depend on what fish I get? general info really thanks, ash

RobbieG
08-14-2007, 11:01 PM
Larger tanks are easier to keep stable (both FW & SW)

If you really want to make that tank saltwater you could - it would just take a lot more care than a larger one.

A lot of equipment can be used in either FW or SW - so you may be OK depending on what you have.

You don't have to have corals - if you wanted them you would definitely need to get better lights.

SW fish generally require much more room than FW fish - you probably would be able to have 2-3 small ones in your tank (obviously the exact number would depend on the species)

ashm5
08-14-2007, 11:16 PM
well I will convert this one to start I don't rally mind how many fish I have, just a few sounds great just would like to have a saltwater and maybe if it goes well I could get a biger one one day, have two fluval 1plus internal filters, how much extra work will it take? do i need to do water changes often and also I do have hard water with a high pH so would that be a problem or would it just effect the type of fish I got?

RobbieG
08-15-2007, 12:55 AM
A lot of what you will need / have to do will depend on what kind of fish you will want - I'd reccommend looking around for a few fish ideas - look for a few different kinds of small fish you like and maybe we can hep you figure out how to do it in your tank.

You will probably have to get a better filter for starters though

ashm5
08-15-2007, 07:13 AM
ok will do are there any suggestions to what fish? I don't mind having just a few common fish as long as they are pretty and shiny and colorful :D lol or what size fish do you mean? what sort of filtration do you think i'll need? because I can get my hands pn an external filter but I wouldn't know where to start with all the bis and pieces :s I basically want to know if theres any extra equipment I need to ge for a saltwater than I do for fresh water or do I just have to add salt?

ashm5
08-15-2007, 11:39 PM
http://www.petuniversity.com/fish/saltwater-fish/fish-types/
hey can somebody have a look at this link and tell me if what is sadi about damsels and clownfish is true? and also what is that fish in the picture to the right of the screen and if I wanted to get 1 damsel and 1 clownfish would my tank be large enough and are they ok on their own? and maybe if I got one of the ones in the picture to thanks

Rue
08-16-2007, 12:03 AM
Yes, the info. seems accurate...but I just skimmed the articles...

Keep in mind that SW fish need more water per fish than FW fish...

The max. recommendation for my 34g is 14" of fish...

At the moment I have 2 pajama cardinals and 1 goby...I'm also planning on 2 clowns...and then I'll be maxed out...

ashm5
08-16-2007, 12:28 AM
ok how about if I get 2 clowns and one damsel, can't have more than one damsel becuase of agression apparently, and i still need someone to lok at the link and identify the fish on the right hand side I'd really like one!

RobbieG
08-16-2007, 01:16 AM
Looks like a purple basslet -

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/strawberry-purple-pseudochromis---pseudochromis-porphyreus-fish--pseudochromis-dottyback.html

Lady Hobbs
08-16-2007, 01:25 AM
ok how about if I get 2 clowns and one damsel, can't have more than one damsel becuase of agression apparently, and i still need someone to lok at the link and identify the fish on the right hand side I'd really like one!

I think this will be too crowded. I have no saltwater tank but with decorations, rocks, etc, this is even pushing it for a freshwater setup. Fish need room to swim around and I'm not seeing it here.

coachfraley
08-16-2007, 02:06 AM
This is my favorite SW stocking link.

http://www.albertson.edu/campus/community/student/lgreen/guides.htm

You will notice a lot of gobies on the list. They are THE popular choice for small tanks, and they are a lot of fun. Small fish, but very spunky. I really like the redheaded goby! If you maintain your tank well, you could get away with a pair of clowns and one of the small gobys. Oh, I just remembered this link too:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=2124

I thought that the general consensus about damsels was that they were not good for small tanks unless that is your only inhabitant.

EDIT: I also wanted to add, that you can increase your tank volume if you add a Hang on Back refugium like the aquafuge. You won't be adding swimming space, but it will help your water "buffering capacity".

ashm5
08-16-2007, 07:11 PM
hmm starting to change my mind now anyway may have found space for a 4 ft tank :D I'd love to have loads of tanks but ofcourse I need somewhere to put them but may have found a spot and I can get a 4 foot for about £40 ($80) and I already have all the equipment for it any idea how much aquarium salt is? and how much i will need for about 200L and 50L (so I know how much I'll need for every water change) and also how many fish will I be able to get in that?

ashm5
08-16-2007, 09:49 PM
and also yay! I've just found out that my pH (8ish) is right for saltwater aquariums guess I'm right :S please say I am lol
and also I've changed my mind again because I may be able to get a 2ft almost new aquarium with hood and light off of my dad for about £10 (or maybe free if i call him daddy) lol I just saved about £40 so now all I have to buy is the live sand, live rock and salt mix anything else?