PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp-safe filter intake

Ellen4God
12-20-2011, 03:09 AM
So, while my aquarium is STILL cycling (going on 5 weeks!!! *sigh*), I'm trying to make sure I have my ducks in a row for the shrimp that will be coming my way once I give the sellers the okay to ship (I've already paid - just waiting for my aquarium to ship...).

I know it's best to have a sponge filter in a shrimp tank. I saw someone on another forum had simply used an AquaClear filter sponge to put over their intake to make it shrimp safe. I may do this. Or, I found this as well:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23702&cmpid=03cseaz&ref=4144&subref=AA

Could I just get that and stick it on the end of my intake?

Lady Hobbs
12-20-2011, 03:14 AM
I just cut a piece of sponge and slide it over my filter tube. Shrimp hang out on that all day. Ellen, it generally takes 2.5-3 weeks tops to cycle a tank. Is your heater turned up to perhaps 82. Bacteria loves heat and oxygen.

MCHRKiller
12-20-2011, 03:20 AM
I would go for a stainless steel screen, they dont clog as easily as sponge...and they dont seem to restrict water flow as much.

http://theshrimplab.com/store/?p=464

Ellen4God
12-20-2011, 03:24 AM
Interesting, Jenn! If I got that, would I use the plastic intake thing the filter came with, or would I just chunk that and directly use the tubing instead? Does that make sense? I ask because it looks like they have it directly on the clear tubing.

MCHRKiller
12-20-2011, 03:52 AM
Ive always bought mine on ebay and just used the screen directly on the intake. I would guess that plastic is for reference only...none of mine ever came with that. I linked to that one as it always took me a good 2-3weeks to get my screens as most ship from Hong Kong.

Ellen4God
12-20-2011, 03:56 AM
Would this work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-5-Stainless-Steel-Strainers-Screens-Filters-ID-Sprayer-Spray-Intake-Hose-/290646685950?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43abe478fe

Sorry for all of the questions. :)

MCHRKiller
12-20-2011, 10:35 AM
It would, you would just have to bend it to completely cover the intake.

gadget228
12-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Ive always bought mine on ebay and just used the screen directly on the intake. I would guess that plastic is for reference only...none of mine ever came with that. I linked to that one as it always took me a good 2-3weeks to get my screens as most ship from Hong Kong.

Do you have a link to your seller on ebay, I'm interested in getting some of the screens.

MCHRKiller
12-20-2011, 10:00 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Red-Crystal-Cherry-Shrimp-Pre-Filter-Eheim-2213-/110540913331?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bcc07ab3

Make sure you get the right diameter, seller usually has a couple of different sizes in stock....

gadget228
12-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the link... :ssmile:

Jayme
12-20-2011, 10:55 PM
I have a Fluval EDGE as my shrimp tank running the stock Aquaclear filter and I have the pre filter sponges on there and my new little babies are just fine. The babies are so tiny I'm not sure that steel mesh mentioned above would keep them out. The pre filter sponge does slow flow a bit of course and needs to be rinsed but it allows my babies to sit on the sponge and eat whatever they find without fear of them getting sucked up into the filter.

This is what I bought: http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Filter-Sponge-Pack-Fluval-Aquarium/dp/B004K9A15G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324421319&sr=8-1

Ellen4God
12-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Jayme, I was actually looking into getting those as well!! I'm not sure they would fit over my intake thing though. I may go this route instead of the other right now for budget purposes.

When you put it on there, did you tie it at the top of the sponge or whatnot so there wouldn't be any gaps at all, or did you just stick it on there and that was it?

Jayme
12-20-2011, 11:09 PM
I just slip it on and it fills in around the top so there are no gaps. I use the same ones on the Fluval 206 canister filter intake I have in the bigger tank but I did have to kind of cut it out inside a bit and it's a tight fit.

Here is a picture of the little baby on the intake, tiny diagonal speck about an inch down from the top and 1/4 inch in on the left of the sponge. It is only around 2 milimeters. The larger shrimp to the top and left of it is a little less than 1/2 an inch for comparison. Please excuse the cat hair and moss bits that end up all over the sponge...

http://the-bandys.net/jayme/intake.jpg

Ellen4God
12-20-2011, 11:17 PM
Alrighty. I think I'll give those a try. One more question though!! :) did you leave the whole intake think intact, or did you take off the very bottom part (that has the openings for the intake) and put the sponge directly on the tube? Does that make sense?

Jayme
12-20-2011, 11:26 PM
Alrighty. I think I'll give those a try. One more question though!! :) did you leave the whole intake think intact, or did you take off the very bottom part (that has the openings for the intake) and put the sponge directly on the tube? Does that make sense?

Yeah makes perfect sense. I left everything how it was with all the pieces, it just slips over everything:)

Ellen4God
12-24-2011, 01:54 AM
I got a three pack of those sponges. It fit perfectly over my intake, and I like that I can slip it off and put a new one on once it gets gross...and then clean the old one for next time. :)

Little shrimpies...can't wait to get you!!! :D

mermaidwannabe
12-24-2011, 04:49 PM
I also slip my prefilter sponge on right over my bottom intake tube. I have deep tanks, so need both tubes, piggybacked, to reach far enough down. Don't need to disassemble anything, unless your intakes together are too long to begin with.

-- mermaidwannabe

toddnbecka
12-24-2011, 07:14 PM
That's a great price for those, but the sponge looks a little tighter than the penguin prefilters I use, would likely clog up faster and slow down the filter flow.
I bought some of the aquaclear sponges they sell, and found they don't last as long as the actual aquaclear brand.

SteelToeBlue
12-24-2011, 09:01 PM
These filters are 7 buck or less on amazon, as opposed to the 9.99 on the site you recommended... if you're a prime member I think you can get free shipping... FYI...or even cheaper yet is to build one DIY style.. look on youtube!

Ellen4God
12-24-2011, 09:41 PM
I got three sponges for about $4 with fee shipping because I am a Prime member. :)

Hwynette
01-01-2012, 03:12 PM
I just placed my Amazon order also! Since I'm a newbie, never even occurred to me that my shrimp could get sucked up, duh! It'll be here in a couple of days; hope that's soon enough.

Lady Hobbs
01-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Pre-filters and I also have to put a net over my siphon for my shrimp tank. A nylon sock works "kinda" but also easily clogs but a cheap, small net can be bent to fit just ducky over the siphon tube.

Like this:

Hwynette
01-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Well, after I saw this thread about shrimp and pre-filters I ordered from Amazon but it was too late. I only have 2 shrimp left out of the 6 I bought; makes me sick. Not the expense but the totally preventable loss of life. The LFS should've told me about the filter issue. I've now put a nylon piece over the filter to prevent my last two from getting sucked up until the order can get here but I feel terrible. Horrible lesson learned which as I said could have been easily prevented if the LFS had said something about it when I told them I was interested in putting fish in with my guppies.