PDA

View Full Version : Two shrimpgoby/shrimp pairs in same tank?

Fishkeeper
12-13-2011, 02:25 AM
I have a watchman goby in my 29 boicube. His original shrimp got mean and I had to give it away. To replace it I got the only pistol shrimp that I knew would stay small - a randall's pistol shrimp. The new pistol won't pair up with the goby because the goby had a growth spurt and got too big. If I were to get a slightly larger pistol and a smaller goby - say a yasha or hifin - would there be any problems between the two pairs? The big goby is very gentle. He never bites, and if something annoys him and won't leave he pushes it away with his head. I don't know how much liverock I have, but most of the bottom is covered, so plenty of room for digging.

smaug
12-13-2011, 10:16 PM
Gobys can be very territorial.I dont think you have the room for 2 watchmen. What species is the one you have now?

Fishkeeper
12-14-2011, 08:04 PM
I have a yellow watchman goby. I know most are very territorial, but the most this one ever does-even to the cleaner goby that tries to sit on him-is puff his mouth. I was thinking of adding a yasha goby.

sheamurai
12-15-2011, 12:19 AM
I wouldn't stock 3 gobies in my 50 gal, so I wouldn't recommend it for a 29.

smaug
12-15-2011, 12:22 AM
Gobys can be pretty snotty. Maybe the one you have now is layed back but a new one is an unknown. That being said there is one goby that wont cause issues and is small enough to fit with your tank. Look up clown gobys. They stay very small and keep to them selves.

Fishkeeper
12-15-2011, 05:11 PM
I had one of those once. Problem is it won't live with a pistol. The sharknose cleaner thinks he's a clown goby. How territorial are yasha gobies? Just puffing, or actual biting?

smaug
12-16-2011, 01:52 AM
I have never kept one.