PDA

View Full Version : Male Platy wasted away!

kenyth
08-13-2007, 06:09 PM
I had a Male Platy waste away to nothing in about a month and die. He did not respond to any treatments and was eating and swimming all the way up until he died.

The only other symptom I could find was a small reddish orange spot under his scales, just in front of his top fin. (It was an orange platy) I'm pretty sure he had that spot since I bought him seven months back. It's about the same color as his fins.

No other fish show any symptoms. Hmmm....... disease or old age?

RobbieG
08-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Usually a fish that keeps eating but wastes away has an internal parasite - like a tapeworm or something.

littleguppy833
08-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Have you checked all your water properties. When my Nitrates went hay-wire I had one fish die but the rest i saved just in time. He was also eating and swimming just fine. How long did you have this platy?

kenyth
08-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Have you checked all your water properties. When my Nitrates went hay-wire I had one fish die but the rest i saved just in time. He was also eating and swimming just fine. How long did you have this platy?

Water's fine. He was full grown when I got him seven months back. One of my original fish.

kenyth
08-13-2007, 07:37 PM
Usually a fish that keeps eating but wastes away has an internal parasite - like a tapeworm or something.

That's what I'm concerned with. What kind of parasite? I sure don't want other fish getting it!

RobbieG
08-13-2007, 09:42 PM
They should be fine - provided they didn't eat him.