PDA

View Full Version : Driftwood during quarantine?

Super Chris
12-10-2011, 11:36 PM
I'm given to understand that plecos need to have driftwood in their tank for their health. I'm just wondering how vital it is - I've got driftwood in my main tank, but I don't know if I should add some to my quarantine tank for the time that one's there.

Aeonflame
12-10-2011, 11:46 PM
You can, but be sure to bleach it if the new pleco turns out to be sick. If it is fine, the driftwood can re-enter the main tank whenever the fish does.

Dave66
12-10-2011, 11:47 PM
Depends on the species of pleco whether they have to have driftwood or not, but all 750+ species of them do need cover of some sort or another.

No reason not to put a piece of driftwood in your quarantine tank, and I applaud you for your wisdom in establishing a QT tank, I wish more forum members did.

You'll have to remove the driftwood should you need to medicate a fish in the QT tank.

Dave

vinodjbhatia
12-11-2011, 06:56 PM
You can, but be sure to bleach it if the new pleco turns out to be sick. If it is fine, the driftwood can re-enter the main tank whenever the fish does.

@Aeonflame - what do you mean by 'bleach' the driftwood and how is this done.

In fact, I too am in the process of adding a pleco to my tank and have just purchased a piece of driftwood which is currently sitting in a bucket of water. I am unsure but, does driftwood alter/lower my pH?

Scrup
12-11-2011, 07:01 PM
It can slightly lower the PH, nothing to be concerned about though. the most noticable thing will be the tanic acid that is released, it will turn the water yellowish. Activated carbon can remove it. Presoaking it will help cut down on this. If you can boil it. That really speeds things up.

As far as bleaching driftwood I think he means that you can apply bleach to driftwood to sterilize it. Clean it like you would anything else. Just make sure you are using straight bleach, rinse it well, and let it dry for a few days before adding it to the tank. Not needed in most cases though.