PDA

View Full Version : No fish appetite, caused by tea tree oil?

pagemee
12-06-2011, 07:23 PM
I'm treating my 10 gallon tank with API's all natural bacteria liquid medicine, it contains tea tree oil. My surviving neon tetra is not eating, does the odor effect their ability to smell out the food? I have two shrimp and a snail who are still eating actively.

Stlouisfish
12-06-2011, 07:35 PM
What are you using this to treat for and when did you begin using it?

What are your water parameters like? It's very possible the fish is not eating for another reason.

Trillianne
12-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Tea tree oil is the same thing that is in Melafix. I've used that with no eating issues.

It is more likely that whatever affected your other fish is affecting this one as well.

pagemee
12-07-2011, 05:32 PM
What are you using this to treat for and when did you begin using it?

What are your water parameters like? It's very possible the fish is not eating for another reason.

Not sure, I had a fungus problem, treated with fungus cure, fish still had frayed fins, so I am using this primarily for wound care. Water is good all around for tropical fish.

Stlouisfish
12-07-2011, 05:45 PM
What does "good all around" mean? How often do you check your water parameters (ammonia, nitrites & nitrates)and what were they the last time you tested your water? How often do you change the water?

Very often fungus/frayed fins come from water parameters that aren't optimal - unless you introduced a new fish that came with the fungus?

pagemee
12-07-2011, 06:45 PM
I check the water once a week, I'm just a lazy typer, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate, 0 nitrite, moderate water hardness, pH 7, moderate alkalinity. I change 25% once a week too. Temp is 76

Taurus
12-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Not sure, I had a fungus problem, treated with fungus cure, fish still had frayed fins, so I am using this primarily for wound care. Water is good all around for tropical fish.

If you're water parameters were 0,0,0, you wouldn't have had a fungus problem unless a new fish carried it into the tank.

Melafix, by itself, does not diminish a fish's appetite.

Lady Hobbs
12-07-2011, 07:53 PM
I also doesn't do anything that water changes won't do. It's useless at treating anything.