PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my anubias

Lady Hobbs
12-05-2011, 07:11 PM
I bought the most lovely anubias last month. Lots of bright green roots and big pretty leaves. Within a couple weeks of having them, I started to see leaves floating only to find the rhizome had rotted in areas. Cut off the dead stuff and put back in the tank. Now the roots are turning to mush and I've lost at least 14 huge leaves.

First I had them in the 55 with the Nova light and thought perhaps they were getting too much light so moved them into another 55 with a shop light with grow lights. Rotting continues. These are the nicest anubias I've ever had and would like to save them! All that has been added is my normal Prime during water changes and my Flourish Comprehensive once a week. They were all anchored to wood with thread.

Now in my other tank, a 29 gallon, my anubias is doing great "stapled" to wood, been bleach dipped numerous times in the last couple of years and also getting once a week fertilizing and Prime. I just wonder if my new ones had somehow suffered shock of some kind.

rich311k
12-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Maybe your water conditions are radically different and they need to adjust. It does sound odd, but something in your water has to be different than the water they came from.

Trillianne
12-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Well Hobbs... I've seen photos... you seem to know what you are doing when it comes to plants. The only thing I've read on anubias turing mushy had to do with how they were cut.... where someone clipped theirs with a less than sharp pair of shears and smashed them a bit rather than a sharp even cut. But since you cut back the rotting bits, I would have thought you'd gotten beyond that type of issue.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Lady Hobbs
12-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Actually, several of my plants suddenly look pretty crappy. Every time I use ferts, I end up with BBA so don't fertilize much anymore. I got some hairgrass last month and tossed it last night. Also ripped out a ton of crypt spirals that have always done great but now also look rough. Not sure why so many plants suddenly look so bad. But of all my plants, I wanted these anubias the most. grrrrr

AmyLynn
12-05-2011, 08:13 PM
Have you tried adding extra Nitrogen and/or Iron?

Lady Hobbs
12-05-2011, 08:33 PM
I have iron I could add but not sure why they all look so crummy after being cared for the same all this time. My 29 looks great but not my 55 for sure.

AmyLynn
12-05-2011, 08:41 PM
How long has it been since you changed the bulbs in your fixture? Mine were all starting to look crappy and all of a sudden I realized that my bulbs were over a year old. LOL

Lady Hobbs
12-06-2011, 04:23 AM
My light is brand new.

AmyLynn
12-06-2011, 04:31 AM
Well dang it then... :sconfused:

bmwguy525
12-06-2011, 08:13 PM
I don't know what your setup is or a whole lot about planting, but the LFS told me that harsh tap water can kill plants.

openbook
02-03-2012, 04:00 AM
I've been reading up on Anubias tonight and learned they grow fastest emerged from the water but if you submerge them you need to have have co2 or they will melt.

In nature they go through wet/dry periods so they are able to acclimate to different conditions but slowly.

Most Anubias only flower emerged from the water with Anubias nana the exception.thumbs2:

Brhino
02-03-2012, 04:19 AM
if you submerge them you need to have have co2 or they will melt.

this thread's a couple months old so maybe we should move on, but I wanted to point out that this is certainly not true. Lots of people have thriving anubias with no CO2, myself included. Not sure where you read but whoever wrote it was wrong.

openbook
02-03-2012, 04:38 AM
That quote is out of context. Plants grown emerged will melt if submerged unless there is adequate co2. I'm speculating if you were to slowly submerge them over a period of time(weeks maybe) they would have time to acclimate.

Brhino
02-03-2012, 05:02 AM
ah, I see, I misunderstood your original statement. My apologies.

Lady Hobbs
02-03-2012, 07:13 AM
The Anubias are fine. All growing new leaves. All submerged and never have had CO2. And didn't have it at the sellers. They simply went into shock from coming from someones elses water and were shipped.

All is well.