PDA

View Full Version : just ordered two wild hystrix pups (need advice)

hystrix777
12-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Hey guys, im pretty new to the forums and looking for advice in this area. Currently i only keep arowanas and a few other monster fish.. I just ordered to wild hystrix rays from Brazil (yes they are legit). They are about 3-4 inches and currently in a hospital tank at my breeders location and should be shipping out this upcoming Monday and arriving by Tuesday. He says since they are wild he likes to medicate them and get the little ones feeding before shipping.

So this is the deal; ive kept tons of fresh and saltwater fish, just never freshwater rays. I have a cycled "hospital" tank im going to be keeping these guys in that is 15 gallons (but 18 inches wide to provide more swimming space). I ordered a special white sand for these rays and gave them about a 1 inch depth.. I forgot the name brand but it almost looks like a liquid and i know it doesn't affect the ph.. seems very soft, they say its great for rays and discus. Anyways, i have no plants in the tank and just a few small stones (should i remove these?). The ph is kept at 7.0 with a temp of 78f. My importer told me they are currently feeding on chopped earth worms, is this a decent part of their diet? I currently just have one hang on the back filter, ive heard rays need 0 ammonia in their water at all times, how would this be possible...? probally daily %50 water changes in my current situation?

Should this tank hold them for a couple weeks max? Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!! thanks in advance guys, im new to FW rays and need some help, i wanna give these guys a good home! :22:

hystrix777
12-03-2011, 08:56 PM
one more question, i was told i should use an acclimation process with a drip before adding the rays after getting my shipment. what does this consist of exactly?

frefal13
12-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Did you mean 0 nitrate instead of 0 ammonia? Because all fish require 0 ammonia and if your tank is truly cycled there will be no ammonia in the first place. There is a pretty good post on drip acclimation in the DIY forum, you can take a look there for more info.

Cliff
12-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Here's some really good drip acclimation info.

I use the same process and it has never failed me

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=62211

hystrix777
12-03-2011, 10:46 PM
Here's some really good drip acclimation info.

I use the same process and it has never failed me

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=62211
yeah sorry about that, 0 nitrate lol my bad.. any more advice would be great! thanks guys!

Crispy
12-03-2011, 10:53 PM
I'm not sure I would use the drip acclimation method since the bags they will be shipped in will contain ammonia and it's best to get them out of that water right away.

hystrix777
12-03-2011, 11:07 PM
hmm, thats right but i also heard their easily stressed.. are these guys pretty hardy? their wild so im a bit concerned..

Crispy
12-03-2011, 11:15 PM
check out the info here... these guys have lots of experience with rays...
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?2402-Rays-12-Tips-for-prospective-owners-%28by-bUrPz%29-%281-Viewing%29

gm72
12-04-2011, 12:23 AM
I'm concerned for the fish. I appreciate your coming here to get some help, that's what we are best at.

At the same time though you have ordered some quite sensitive/difficult to keep/relatively expensive fish. You clearly don't know much about them. You are also not even able to tell us the name of the substrate you plan to use for the fish yet you have stated that you set up the "hospital" tank specifically for them.

You also use language that makes it seem as though you don't understand how to keep any fish at all, given your comment about ammonia.

So what is the story here? I am sorry if I am coming off as being confrontational but this story is not making sense to me at all.

hystrix777
12-04-2011, 12:37 AM
I'm concerned for the fish. I appreciate your coming here to get some help, that's what we are best at.

At the same time though you have ordered some quite sensitive/difficult to keep/relatively expensive fish. You clearly don't know much about them. You are also not even able to tell us the name of the substrate you plan to use for the fish yet you have stated that you set up the "hospital" tank specifically for them.

You also use language that makes it seem as though you don't understand how to keep any fish at all, given your comment about ammonia.

So what is the story here? I am sorry if I am coming off as being confrontational but this story is not making sense to me at all.
Actually i think you may be mistaken, as i stated in a previous post didnt intend to state 0 ammonia, ammonia is toxic to fish. Correct i couldnt name the substrate off the top of my head when i was posting the topic but if your that concerned its called moonlight sand for freshwater aquariums made by caribsand with no ph altering substances. Hospital tank? Its an aquarium you keep new fish in while monitoring their health before adding them to your main aquarium. I added the sand for them to feel more at home but simply dont want to spread disease to my other fish. Not to mention ive done plenty of research and realize my aquarium what chemistry and setup would do them quite well, i was simply asking for experienced keepers advice... Difficult to keep? ive had saltwater rays for years, not to mention discus, arowanas, gar and a few other "demanding" fish.. I think i know what im getting into but sometimes its nice to speak with other keepers on forums just to chat ;)

hystrix777
12-04-2011, 12:41 AM
Did you mean 0 nitrate instead of 0 ammonia? Because all fish require 0 ammonia and if your tank is truly cycled there will be no ammonia in the first place. There is a pretty good post on drip acclimation in the DIY forum, you can take a look there for more info.
the tank has been running for over a year now, yes its cycled btw :22:

gm72
12-04-2011, 12:51 AM
Actually i think you may be mistaken, as i stated in a previous post didnt intend to state 0 ammonia, ammonia is toxic to fish. Correct i couldnt name the substrate off the top of my head when i was posting the topic but if your that concerned its called moonlight sand for freshwater aquariums made by caribsand with no ph altering substances. Hospital tank? Its an aquarium you keep new fish in while monitoring their health before adding them to your main aquarium. I added the sand for them to feel more at home but simply dont want to spread disease to my other fish. Not to mention ive done plenty of research and realize my aquarium what chemistry and setup would do them quite well, i was simply asking for experienced keepers advice... Difficult to keep? ive had saltwater rays for years, not to mention discus, arowanas, gar and a few other "demanding" fish.. I think i know what im getting into but sometimes its nice to speak with other keepers on forums just to chat ;)

Very good. And yes, as a senior member here I am quite familiar with what a hospital tank is.

You must understand that we deal with quite a few...I'll say...challenged individuals who come through here as either trolls or simpletons. As a Moderator my guard came up (as did at least one other Moderator). I am glad to hear that I (we) have nothing to worry about.

hystrix777
12-04-2011, 01:00 AM
Very good. And yes, as a senior member here I am quite familiar with what a hospital tank is.

You must understand that we deal with quite a few...I'll say...challenged individuals who come through here as either trolls or simpletons. As a Moderator my guard came up (as did at least one other Moderator). I am glad to hear that I (we) have nothing to worry about.
thanks, i hope i didnt come off as rude just though you might be one of those "power tripping" forum people lol.. I have quite a bit of experience just as i stated not with the freshwater rays.. im always nervous when it comes to a new, especially wild species.. I am a bit concerned considering the wild capture, ive been thinking of going with another choice... changing up my order maybe, but hell i thought arowanas and discus would be hard and saltwater would be near difficult but here i am today... quite unsure at the moment still however..

Red
12-04-2011, 01:51 AM
What are you going to feed them? You have any pictures of the tank setup? If your doubting yourself, I would not go ahead and put the risk of loosing all of that money, and also killing the ray. It does not hurt to let a fish go..

I would also like to add that you hospital tank is way to small, even if its only a hospital tank. You need something they can rome, and which you can few the fish.

hystrix777
12-04-2011, 02:00 AM
What are you going to feed them? You have any pictures of the tank setup? If your doubting yourself, I would not go ahead and put the risk of loosing all of that money, and also killing the ray. It does not hurt to let a fish go..

I would also like to add that you hospital tank is way to small, even if its only a hospital tank. You need something they can rome, and which you can few the fish.
even if the fish are 3-4 inches? its got four square feet for swimming room. maybe your right..

Lady Hobbs
12-04-2011, 02:04 AM
Guess I'm another one on the stumped list. How high is a 15 gallon tank that is 18" wide? A regular 15 gallon is only 12" high and 12" wide so if your tank is 6" wider that must make it about 6-7" high?

Cliff
12-04-2011, 02:05 AM
+1 to Red's advice

There is nothing wrong with waiting until you are ready. I took over 6 months of reseach and talking to people before setting up my first SW tank. And that is after 13 years of keeping freshwater fish. I wanted to be sure

Now that I have successfully set up my second reef tank, I know know waiting until I was ready was one of the best choices that I made

Just something to think about

smaug
12-04-2011, 03:13 AM
Plus 1 to all the above advice. If you are ready to keep rays you dont need advice from a forum just before you get them.

hystrix777
12-04-2011, 03:40 AM
Plus 1 to all the above advice. If you are ready to keep rays you dont need advice from a forum just before you get them.
your right, maybe i was just looking for some re assurance hell what are these forums for anyways... thanks for the help guys, i was nervous before my first saltwater, aro, discus and other hard to keep tanks but if i didnt try whats the point? its got me to where i am today. The rays are going to do just fine.. I swear forums do more harm than good lol..

smaug
12-04-2011, 03:45 AM
Im not sure you got my point,oh well:sconfused:

hystrix777
12-04-2011, 03:49 AM
Im not sure you got my point,oh well:sconfused:
I realize what you were saying to me, but im not going to take advice from someone who doesn't know my skill level in the hobby. After talking with the people at MFK as suggested they've made me feel a million times better, the hystrix is a quite hardy species and as long as you take care of the water the fish are going to be fine. My water paramaters are at the right level and so is the hospital tanks size. Ive read hundreds of articles on these rays before i made my order, i came here for re assurance but all i got was negativity, thats the thing about forums all people do is try to pick a a problem out of every single topic. Thank god for the people at MFK, excuse me; i obviously came to the wrong forum. :22:

have a nice day!

Cliff
12-04-2011, 03:53 AM
I can't see this thread going anywere positive

This thread is now closed