PDA

View Full Version : Odd Advice

rach125
12-02-2011, 05:33 PM
I have a 30 gal tank and would really like a pleco in there. I have been mainly looking at the bristle nosed. So I took myself down to the LFS (the next closest as my regular one has closed down :scry:

I asked about plecos I saw in a tank, on the label it said - BN Plecos, Pitbull Plecos, and small plecos. But the ones I could see looked like BN though Im no expert on them. I asked how big they would grow and the girl said - to the size of your tank!!

Now like I say Im no expert but I'm sure Ive read that fish dont grow to the size of the tank at all. Which is true? I came away with nothing, until I know for sure. Also I like corys too but would it be too much to have a school of corys and a BN?

Thanks guys

Trillianne
12-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Well yes and no.... and here's what I mean by that.

If you put a fish that grows too large for your tank into your tank, they will grow, but as they get too big, they start to become unhealthy which causes them to grow less and disformed. They tend to not die of old age, but of poor care.

So if you want a healthy pleco, then get one that will grow and still fit in your tank.

Brhino
12-02-2011, 05:53 PM
you could do corys and a BN pleco, they shouldn't mind each other too much. A healthy BN will grow to 4-6 inches.