PDA

View Full Version : small turn on vinegar soaked paper towel.

genocidex
11-30-2011, 05:48 AM
ok so i was watching good eats today (im re watching every episode as an alton brown tribute) and i came across a great idea that i didnt think of before. in his vinegar episode he used white wine vinegar and flour (with a tbs of salt) to make a great paste that was used to clean his copper pots. so now im going to have to try it on the next piece of glass i need cleaned (or what ever else) this would be for odder shapped things for sure or really large things. like an entire tank?

any input on this idea?

Trillianne
11-30-2011, 06:40 AM
If you were interested in cleaning copper pots... a soak in Coke or ketchup also works.

As for your tank... unless you have weirdo shapes that need scrubbing, vinegar works well just by itself.

genocidex
11-30-2011, 07:03 AM
well i was considering tough hard water stains that needs a vinegar soaked paper towel over night

Lady Hobbs
11-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Simply pouring vinegar on the hard water deposits and allowing it to sit for 10 minutes works.

korith
11-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Like the others said, letting the vinegar soak on the glass for several hours can work. Sometimes you can't remove the deposits, in fact they can etch themselves into the glass.

If vinegar doesn't work, you can try CLR, just make sure to wipe and rinse the tank out real well afterward.

Another thing I use regularly is Magic Eraser pads, they are white in color and can scrub the glass with them, even underwater. I use it to get rid of tough algae spots. Stay away from the ones meant for kitchen use as they have other chemicals in them. The regular ones are perfect though. They go by the brand name Mr Clean Magic eraser. I found a cheap knockoff with no brand at the dollar store which works just as well, 2 for $1 is great price.