PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning sand

ashm5
08-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Don't know where this should but here goes.....
Read this on a site jsut a minute ago... "If you use sand as your substrate then the best way of cleaning this is with a hosepipe or the pipe from the gravel cleaner. Hover the end of the pipe about 2 inches above the surface of the sand and syphon up all the waste but about every 4 - 6 weeks take out all your decor and stir up all the sand before using your pipe as over time sand can develope gas pockets which are actually hydrogen sulfidel also known as H2S which is toxic to you in large amounts and to your fish." first thing I thought was is it neccesary to move all your ornaments? so far I've just been disturbing the sand which is exposed, and I'm planning on having a cichlid tank with lots of boulders so it's gonna be pretty hard to take them all out and put them back in again! second thing I wondered was do you have to take the fish out to do this? because I doubt that cichlids would be too happy with having their caves destroyed right before their eyes and then having a load of sand clogging up their lungs (or whatever they have :S gills i suppose) and also I wouldn't be too confident in putting some rocks back in a tank full of fish :s Ideas?

salman
08-12-2007, 01:10 PM
My Ehiem gravel cleaner has a knob that can lower or higher the flow rate. I think people should get themselves one of these. I adjust the flow rate so that the dirt is the only thing sucked in. I clean my gravel whenever i do water changes, which is daily now. It works wonders, but i ordered myself a python, i forgot what it was called, something like no spill? or whatever, i hope i can still adjust the flow.

Lady Hobbs
08-12-2007, 01:11 PM
If you use sand, you should run your fingers thru it now and then so you don't have those air pockets. You can use your gravel vac without turning it on, use a spatula or about anything. Don't stir it up into the water column, just move it about some. Running your finger thru it is enough.

This is the reason sand only an inch deep is recommended. You won't have a problem unless it's too deep and can compact more. This is not something that needs done often.

ashm5
08-12-2007, 01:17 PM
oh right ok I do run my fingers through regularly at the moment just before I do a water change so you don't hink its neccisary to take everything out?

Lady Hobbs
08-12-2007, 01:18 PM
Not at all.

Lady Hobbs
08-12-2007, 01:20 PM
BTW.....the sand will turn color if there is an air pocket, as well. Once the air is released, the sand will return to it's normal color. It's best if you pile up rocks to put the thinnest layer of sand under them as possible and make it deeper where you can get to it.

ashm5
08-12-2007, 01:25 PM
ok thankyou! will do! :D