PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Black Convicts

cayenne525
05-15-2006, 09:51 AM
I have a 2 inch male and 1.5 inch female back convicts in a 30 gallon tank. They just had around 100 to 150 fry. The mom was kicking out the dad everytime he comes near the castle (Where she took possession).
I thought as long as it is peacful, it is ok.

Things changed before couple of days. The male fearcely attacked the female (while I was watching) and bit her in the mouth. She tried hard to release herself but did not work until interfered and just put my hand in the aquarium to scare him. Since then she disapeared and missed her for 2 days. I though the male killed her inside the castle. I had to shake the castle to find out that she was hiding. He goes in and out from the castle like 10 times a minute. It is like he is still looking for her.

What do you think this behaviour all about? Are they trying to breed again or he just want to kill her. He is still protecting the fry and no one anothing can come near them eventhough I have no ther fish in the aquarium. The whole place was for the mom and dad from the beginning.

I have a splitter, do you think I should split the aquarium and isolate the dad? I love the female and I will really kill the male if he kills her. She is my favorite and she eats from my hand. I hope he is not jealous. :lol:

I rally appreciate all kind of information.

rollie
05-15-2006, 09:59 AM
i would isolate the dad. this sometimes happen with them.

Full3R
05-15-2006, 12:51 PM
it happened with my convicts but mine are the purple and black form should i do the same?

rollie
05-15-2006, 02:40 PM
maybe.

Full3R
05-15-2006, 02:51 PM
i did and the femle seems less edgey and she is looking more active

rollie
05-15-2006, 02:54 PM
good.

William
05-15-2006, 02:58 PM
Make sure that the female is in good coditio before releasing the male to hear again. Preferable in spawning condition.

Full3R
05-15-2006, 03:01 PM
i will and ill wait till shes done with the first lot of fry then leave them seperate for a while so she can build her strength back