PDA

View Full Version : My new brain eating!

smaug
11-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Usually after all the corals open for the day on weekends when Im home I shut off the filter and feed phyto for all the inverts. Today of course I have these 3 new corals [trumpet,brain and orange ricordea]. after about 10 minutes with phyto in the water I see the trumpets extending these tiny eyelash structures which I assume are feeders. I couldnt get pics of that to come out.I also saw the brains have there feeders out so at the recomendation of the members here I made a mix using nls .5 mm pellets crushed into some vit c and a bit of phytojuice and fed it to the brain and everyone else. I have some pics of the brain eating up!

Thanks for the suggestion fellas,I would have never thought to use nls pellets for the corals too!!

Cliff
11-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Your brain looks fat'n'happy

I love the colors in him

smaug
11-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Im not sure how much of that he actually ate. When I did it there was a piece of food on almost every 3rd lash I came out here to post this and went back to look at it and it seems like its all gone. That was a time period of about 5 minutes.Would it have been able to ingest it that quick? I had all water movement off so it didnt blow away. I will have to watch closer next time.

kaybee
11-27-2011, 05:14 PM
The trachyphyllia feeder tentacles are usually not tiny 'eyelash structures', but maybe they were adjusting their size to the food they were being offered (they're kind of water-inflatable in a sense).

Open brains can also consume larger food items such as mysis shrimp and even krill utilizing larger feeder tentacles to seize them. I sometimes feed my open brain NLS large fish formula pellets.

Open brain coral feeder tentacles about 2cm-2.5cm in length:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/y2kenny19/Saltwater/trachy_feeders.jpg

Cliff
11-27-2011, 05:20 PM
Sounds like your brain eat them Smaug

smaug
11-27-2011, 05:32 PM
I can see how this will be difficult with my big skumk shrimp,nothing escapes his attention. I suppose if I give him a krill of his own he would forget we he saw for a minute:hmm3grin2orange: Speaking of krill,I have frozen ones,would they work for food for the brain? The eye lashes were about a half centimeter in length.

smaug
11-27-2011, 05:45 PM
It looked similar to this but the tentacle were a bit shorter and not as big round. They were out before I spot fed it.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/Cnidarians/Anthozoans/ScleractinianPIX/TrachyphyllidPIX/Trachyphyllia%20gorgeous%20IZOO%2008LG.JPG

kaybee
11-29-2011, 12:23 AM
Did you feed in while the tank lights were on or off? The feeder tentacles tend to extend to their fullest during periods of darkness.

Miltonic
12-01-2011, 05:01 AM
very nice brain man!

smaug
12-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Did you feed in while the tank lights were on or off? The feeder tentacles tend to extend to their fullest during periods of darkness.
The lights were off for maybe an hour. The tentacles were just barely out but when the food was presented they reacted and closed slowly. Im trying to train them to eat a bit earlier then many hours after lights out. Last night I gave the brains nls large pellets before I saw any tentacles at all. Both sides did get some even though the one side barely closed at all it sort of moved the pellet ( 2 of them) toward its mouth and ate them. The other side got quite a few (5 or 6) and was enormous this morning when I looked at them.