PDA

View Full Version : Anubias Nana

scmelik
11-23-2011, 01:43 PM
I have had my nana now for about 3 weeks and it is doing great, it has actually grown 5 new leaves and the roots are really spreading well. Last night I was doing a water top off and cleaning the sand off the leaves of it and I noticed that it has yet to even attempt to attach itself to my driftwood. This is my first attempt with live plants so I am really a novice when it comes to this stuff. How long does it take for these plants to get a firm foothold? I am worried about adding any fish yet because i don't want them in there continually dislogging any attempt it makes to get attached.

Lady Hobbs
11-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Please carry on. It took 2 years before mine attached.

scmelik
11-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Please carry on. It took 2 years before mine attached.

oh wow, I knew they were slow moving but I didn't think it was that long. I guess I will have to figure out a way to tie it onto the driftwood its on so they can't dislodge it, right now its just stuck into a crevice in the wood.

scmelik
11-23-2011, 01:53 PM
here is the way it looked when I first put it in the tank.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/cmelik10/tankfront.jpg

and here it is as of this morning

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/cmelik10/tank1123.jpg

Lady Hobbs
11-23-2011, 01:56 PM
I don't know but you are getting some very good root growth and I think it will attach much faster than mine did. Mine didn't do squat for the longest time and yours is doing great.

scmelik
11-23-2011, 01:59 PM
I don't know but you are getting some very good root growth and I think it will attach much faster than mine did. Mine didn't do squat for the longest time and yours is doing great.

I have been very surprised at the root growth. It has helped a ton since i took all the wool off the rootball. At first I just put that in there not knowing whether or not to remove. I have also put a Florish tab underneath of it since there is no fish waste in the water right now for them to feed on and both the nana and the Java Fern are looking much much better since I did that.

gm72
11-23-2011, 02:01 PM
They are slow growers and will take a lot of time to anchor. I can't give you a definite time frame but I think at least two months.

Lady Hobbs
11-23-2011, 02:09 PM
You do not want to use root tabs unless they can be buried deeply in the substrate. If that gets into the water column, you'll have a mess and you do not want your fish picking at it.

scmelik
11-23-2011, 02:24 PM
You do not want to use root tabs unless they can be buried deeply in the substrate. If that gets into the water column, you'll have a mess and you do not want your fish picking at it.

I knew that they were suppose to be buried in the substrate and they initially where when the Java Fern was behind the driftwood. When I moved it I didn't think that either one would benifit from them back there so I moved them so they were under each plant. I will definitely move them tonight so they are back under the substrate. Thank you.